Heading to Ohio!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We made it home!! It was a great trip! About 2800 miles on the bike (and no sore saddle mind you) and we just had a great time. Got to spend time with our grandchildren, my daughter and son inlaw, time with their family, got to ride to Indiana and meet Joedrum (definately a great highlight, thanks again Joe!) and of course ride the daylights out of the bike.

A few things I learned;

Honda did a great job engineering this engine. I know I have heard it many times here on the forum, but I have to repeat it, these bikes need to get out on the rode at highway speed and keep going! The more I rode, the btter the engine sounded. At 76 MPH and about 4400 RPM, the engine sounded like it was synchonizing at the exhaust (almost as if it was two engines running as one on a boat). The average MPG was 42 MPG for the entire trip at mostly 75 MPH or better.

The sheepskin makes a big difference! However, I do not really like the Saddleman Road Sofa seat, too many pressusre points. Without the sheepskin, it starts to hurt within 100 miles.

The Frogg Togg outerwear works great! Rain can't get in and air relly does pass through. Plus, my wife tells me that the reflective outlines could esily be seen from the car as we traveled down the turnpike last night.

I fixed the brake lights and installed LED 1157 replacements, but when I jumped on the 1200 and rode behind my bike, I could not really distinguish the barke lights coming on in daylight. I pulled them out and when back to regular 1157 incadescant lamps.

The Bridgestone Spitfire 11R tires performed real well! I have 12,073 miles on them and still have at least 1/2 if not more tread left.

I also learned that the chrome fancies are not what they are made out to be! That chrome radiator grill was actually reducing the flow of air to the radiator. The chrome engine covers only make it harder to add oil and check things on the engine.

My wife and I got a chance to drive around the Ohio farmlands. (First real long ride together since we got the bike as a donor!) She jumped on after getting out of the pool. Made for a wild hair day! (Don't make fun of her, she reads these posts too!)

Happy Wife.JPG

All around, it was a great vacation! :yahoo: :party: :yahoo:

Sounds like a great time.Im sorry I wasnt able to hook up with you and joe,sounds like I missed out.
One thing about a bike trip like that,or the one I just back back from,is it makes you wasnt to go again,soon.

And no smart comemnt on the wifes hair here,Im not hardly alowed to get the camera out when my wife rides with me.I told her to just get rid of it like me,but she dont think so.

seems funny you go on this long trip and have a great time just to get home and hurt yourself......i hope the tack cable did well on the trip back and lasts for you ...the wire boots i bet you got installed to ......a 250 lb furniture punch flying down the stairs is not easy thing to take :shock: :doh: :heat: :mrgreen:

joedrum":34axlxuf said:
seems funny you go on this long trip and have a great time just to get home and hurt yourself......i hope the tack cable did well on the trip back and lasts for you ...the wire boots i bet you got installed to ......a 250 lb furniture punch flying down the stairs is not easy thing to take :shock: :doh: :heat: :mrgreen:
The tach cable worked great! (Thanks again!) Have not had a chance to install the boots yet, still in the trunk since Ohio.

I taught that wardrobe a lesson let me tell you! Left it on the steps for two days! (That'll teach it!) :whip: :whip: