Heading to Ohio!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
42 MPG eh? That's good!
In your trip, what would you say percentage wise was traffic and not?

On my San Diego trip, 360 miles total, averaged 39.
This is 65-75 mph. Going there 2 up coming back just me running about 70mph.
We had all totaled about 40 miles of that was in slow traffic, maybe 30 percent :head bang: :Awe:

I thought she'd do better but I think with the traffic and running 70-75 most of the way there 2 up knocked it down.

Temps were actually pretty nice, mid to upper 70's.

I have a strange thing going on the way it runs.
It will stumble and spit some until it's completely warmed up, at the bottom of the solid temp line.
It's always done this some but a bit worse this trip, especially after filling in S.Diego.
Who knows could be the gas too.

I might be going back down later this week and maybe get the new plug wires on before then, might help.
What I'd really like is some hotter coils. The spark is OK like stock I guess. Why did Honda cheap out on coils, sheesh.

i dont know dan but when i went to dyna ignition and coils on my 1000 it was a huge upgrade in performance and mileage as i remember it ....somewhere i read of coils off some car i think gm that would go on 1100s that improved the spark big time but i cant figure out where and i cant find it again though .....maybe you have seen it or can find it .....when a bike stumbles when cold i think the spark is a big factor in this as an indication of weak spark ....it seems the mongruel dang near quit all that after the ignition change ......i do know that my 1100 is hanging out at about 42 mpg with no traffic or stop and go riding as it is not availible around here :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: and im not looking for any either :mrgreen:

gerry when you rested we can meet and the option of staying overnight is open as i have a small cabin you can stay so you dont have to cram in to much riding in one day after the long trip already ....

joedrum":1teg20hc said:
gerry when you rested we can meet and the option of staying overnight is open as i have a small cabin you can stay so you dont have to cram in to much riding in one day after the long trip already ....

What a great group of people we have here!!

joedrum":1nvd81kw said:
Rested up already! I just talked to my son in law and he might be able to borrow his Dad's 1200. ( I might switch riding for a day :hihihi: ) He just got in from night work. Once he knows about his Dad's bike, we'll look at weather and try to pick the right time to come down. He cannot stay over night because he is working nights all week so we will have to make it a day trip and get back before dark. As far as cramming in too much riding, no problem here!! I woke up without any pain! (Which I really cannot believe after that trip.)

I have to fix my brake light today before going anywhere. Then to the hot tub!

dan filipi":2hs12tn1 said:
42 MPG eh? That's good!
In your trip, what would you say percentage wise was traffic and not?

On my San Diego trip, 360 miles total, averaged 39.
This is 65-75 mph. Going there 2 up coming back just me running about 70mph.
We had all totaled about 40 miles of that was in slow traffic, maybe 30 percent :head bang: :Awe:

I thought she'd do better but I think with the traffic and running 70-75 most of the way there 2 up knocked it down.
First tank also had ATF and about 10% stop and go until we reached the turnpike (about 19 miles). That tank went 152 miles before reserve and 169 miles total when I refilled. It took 4.3 gallons + 8oz ATF. (Average speed 76 MPH) Through the trip, I slowed to 72 MPH average and stopped adding ATF after the 2nd tank (timing issue and rain). Even so, the last two tanks averaged 42 MPG, 1 up, full bags. We only had stop and go around Columbus for about 20 mins. Otherwise, it was highway speed most of the trip.

I do have to mention that throttle cramp buster again because it made all the difference in the world! I wish I had cruise control, but this worked almost as well in the mountains allowing almost no effort to operate the throttle without twisting my hand around the grip!

its amazing how things go ....gerry we need to do this tommarrow as i have to go to fla. tommarrow night or wednesday eraly morning i thought i had more time than this but got bump up and i have no options here .....i dont like getting things to that point but it happens to me to every onece in a while .....

it is realy well time as i have bought two 1200s and lots of parts from nakedtob and this deal came right out of thin air and didnt have a clue untill a few days back......

i will be back monday night i think no later than tuesday ......i have no ideal how long your staying ....if you want to wait until then...

i havnt done anything in months and months and now all the sudden ....well like i said this is well timed on other issues but hopfuly we can get together tommarrow gerry ........its time to rock :music: :music: :music2: my favorite thing to do :mrgreen:

joedrum":174hs319 said:
its amazing how things go ....gerry we need to do this tommarrow as i have to go to fla. tommarrow night or wednesday eraly morning i thought i had more time than this but got bump up and i have no options here .....i dont like getting things to that point but it happens to me to every onece in a while .....

it is realy well time as i have bought two 1200s and lots of parts from nakedtob and this deal came right out of thin air and didnt have a clue untill a few days back......

i will be back monday night i think no later than tuesday ......i have no ideal how long your staying ....if you want to wait until then...

i havnt done anything in months and months and now all the sudden ....well like i said this is well timed on other issues but hopfuly we can get together tommarrow gerry ........its time to rock :music: :music: :music2: my favorite thing to do :mrgreen:

Sounds good Joe, tommorrow it is! I'll give you a call.

Checked out the brake light and it turns out my light leaks! The bulb popped from getting wet. Bought 2 red LED 1157's to try and they seemed good in daylight. I will have to see how they do at night. I did notice that the original 1157's also send light down through a clear lense under the brake lense for the license plate. I will have to see if the LED's shed any light on the plate.

Ya gotta love the simplicity of this bike. I am away from home and the Honda tool kit lets me work on just about anything. I removed the faring (only 4 bolts) to check the tach and the cable broke about 12" down inside the casing. I guess after 28 years, this trip was the last straw! I pulled the tach cable out of the drive at the other end and the drive is working OK plus I can spin the other end of the cable, not jammed. Looks like it was just age.

Must be something about those tach cables,mine quit in NC.

I dont loose much millage two up,or even with the trailor,but traveling the highway at 70 or above knocks at least 5 mpg out of it.

I bought a pair FIRST GEAR mesh tex jackets before we went south and I was very inpressed.I swear I was cooler with them in 100 degree heat than with out.The mesh lets the wind blow through,and the refective silver helps fight the hot sun.

With my 11 year old son I made shore we always had a jacket on,and those made it easy.

this is a great forum and yesterday i met gerry in person as he rode 5 hrs from his motel to meet me as i was so bisey around the house to get ready to go to fla as this came up quickly and then got bumped even sooner....we had a great visit gerry got to meet one my of friends and we talked all day and went out to eat .....gerry new 83 motor he installed sounds great and his bike runs real good it must be quite the change from the motor he had before .....

anyway it was a great time for me .....and someday we need to plan a bigger get together ...if i ever get to the point of being able to get all of us together for a big meet i would do so ....as the meet and greet would be much more valuable than the money could ever be :mrgreen:

Joe and I had a great day!!! Nice time of riding, fellowship, good eating and talking wings too! Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 147
I had a hard time keeping my bike upright in the gravel! But Joe showed me another road out that was paved (about 1/2 mile from his house!)

My son in law called his Dad (who owns the fuel injected '85 GL1200 Anniversary Special that I rode last year) and we went for a ride through the Ohio farmlands. It was a great ride!! Pics of course:

Attachments

• 1100 and 1200.JPG
    1100 and 1200.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 123
More pics of the 1200. I tried to upload from the hotel internet connection, but the hotel firewall keep blocking the pics:

Attachments

• 1200.JPG
    1200.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG