Help Please!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not often both head gaskets blow at the same time. If it were blown gaskets there should be oil in the coolant or vice versa and smoke should smell sweet. Have you just changed something before this started? Like oil maybe? Thinner oil or perhaps synthetic oil may be getting past the valve seals.

I did the oil change but I used 20w50 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

When I recently start it it doesn't smoke until it gets warm/hot it starts to smoke.

I still have carburator issues I can't even drive it! It stalls when I try to drive it. Also when parked in neutral it dies when I accelerate continuesly.

Okay just reread the first post. So you've just gotten this motor running after a long sleep right? Smoke is likely just what you say. A mix of oil and gas. After a long slumber the rings on these are known to stick so oil will be getting by them. And with your recent work on the carbs it could very well be running quite rich. Unburnt fuel will make a whitish smoke. Partly burnt oil will produce blue smoke. Rings will typically reseat after some spirited run time. So I suggest you continue getting the carbs properly adjusted and ignore the smoke for now. Keep an eye on the oil level and don't let it drop too far. Watch for oil to go milky and keep checking the coolant overflow tank for signs of oil. Once you get the bike fit to ride. Spend some time at higher rpm and keep riding but stay close to gas stations until you get the carbs adjusted.

I will check on the accelerate pump next. To try to fix the accelerating issue.

Your help is very much appreciated! :thank_you:

:thank_you: slabghost!

if the bike hasnt ran much and it is now smoking its very possible it just bruning off oil that in the exhaust pipes ....i had this happen several times with bikes ive had ..takes a bit for the oil to burn out and things to get better ...

To me that smoke looks like water vapor like you get when a motor is running in cold weather. Maybe your exhaust has water in it and when things get all warmed up you get steam.

You could take the exhaust off one side and stand it on end and see if water comes out. Or just run it and eventually it will clear up.

How do the spark plugs look?

Brian

From the videos it looks like it is running pretty good. I think you need to figure out why it seems to be running out of gas at higher RPMs (post #56). And then put some miles on it using ATF in the fuel, as already suggested.

You could check the fuel delivery by; turning the petcock off, disconnect the fuel line feeding the pump and direct it into a container. Turn on petcock and see if you get good flow. If that is good then check flow from pump to carbs using the same method.

Brian

Hi all,

Well just wanted to give you an update on my progress...

I was starting to feel annoyed by this bring back to life the oldwing. Specially unable to set up my carbs. I think I underestetimated the job, it does have its challenge.

First, one thing I did wrong was to buy cheap carb kits. I ended up buying another accelerator pump and now I'm thinking in putting back all the all parts removed from the carbs.

Going back to my problem (that I still have) that the oldwing boggsdown when accelerating from quarter to half way throttle. I've read a lot here and on other forums and checked the suggested such as: the coil packs (which I tested their resistance following a youtube video) and turned out ok, checked the advance vacuum and it works (it revs up if I suck it), fuel pump presure, with the pump I'm not 100% sure I tested it with a presure tester directly to the out of the pump and at one point in idle I was reading 1lbs of presure, I know the manual specs 2.4lbs. Set the floats to the 15mm specs. any way it continued having the bogging. After reading some other posts I recleaned the slides thinking of a sticky one maybe and still bogging.
Last night I went to start it up (because it does start up and idle but its just not drivable) and started moving the mixture screws. When I rebuilded the carbs I left them at book specs 1.25 turns. So I maybe went 1.75 or close to the 2 turns on each and it did better a little. I was able to at least drive it around the block at 20mph and 2.5k rpm but it was now more drivable.
I'm almost there I think. Next thing to do is as I mention return all the old parts to the carbs that are now clean.
I want to get it running on the stock carbs but have been also reading posts of others going to single carb and report better results than with the stock carbs. Well I might consider to convert my wing to a single carb but for the moment I want to get it back running.
Thanks again to all who have shared your knowledge with me. I will keep squizzing your brains :hihihi:

It sounds starving for gas.

Idle, is it firing on all 4 cylinders? Spray water on each exhaust header. Should all be equally hot.
How is flow from the pump. New filter? Flow okay from the tank?

When you cleaned carbs, did you clean the screen below the float valves?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190639#p190639:3d1ti96v said:
dan filipi » Today, 7:57 am[/url]":3d1ti96v]
It sounds starving for gas.

Idle, is it firing on all 4 cylinders? Spray water on each exhaust header. Should all be equally hot.
How is flow from the pump. New filter? Flow okay from the tank?

When you cleaned carbs, did you clean the screen below the float valves?

New fuel filter yes! it is firing all 4 cilinders I can feel hot all 4 intakes. Gas pump flow havent check, the petcock has a pours when I set it on reserve! this is the next thing to replace and this will be crossed off the list. Flow from the tank I will check that also.
Yes I did cleaned the screens.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190641#p190641:1radkus9 said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 8:27 am[/url]":1radkus9]
It could be the accelerator pump circuit is clogged. Check out this post: viewtopic.php?p=188216#p188216

I installed the little accelerator cup that came with the new kit. You think I should clean and reinstall the old one?

Normally the accelerator pump not working affects only sudden quick twists of the throttle.
It will stumble as it needs more gas to compensate but shouldn't affect gradual throttle twists causing a bog or stumble.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190650#p190650:326af0ml said:
cowboy45 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm[/url]":326af0ml]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190641#p190641:326af0ml said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 8:27 am[/url]":326af0ml]
It could be the accelerator pump circuit is clogged. Check out this post: viewtopic.php?p=188216#p188216

I installed the little accelerator cup that came with the new kit. You think I should clean and reinstall the old one?
I did not know the kit came with that. The kits I have seen only come with the pump plunger, spring and o-rings.

Latest posts