Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The man asked a question which I answered honestly and accurately. You took great offense and began criticizing my advice. Now you say I'm the bitchy one? Get a grip hero! Disagreements are common and I'm not inclined to banish you or to ask you to leave. I wasn't and am not even asking you to be silent. However yours is NOT the only opinion or experience represented on this forum.

It ain't about whether or not the guy asked a question, We know that.

And yes, I added heat by removing the back of the plenum. Works great for me.

Think, About, when you're criticizing my advice, whether you really know me!

Just cos your there all the time, it don't make you the expert! Ya know that?

So you assume you know me and assume I don't know you? Is that right? If you are claiming to be the expert here I won't dispute it. captain midnight also claimed to be an expert you are in good company. BTW an ex is a has been, a spurt is a drip under pressure. Therefore an expert is a has been drip under pressure.

Don't confuse me with that d!K head, I'm sure your more intelligent than that.

All I know is that I have the answer to the single carb phenomenon, and it works.

I do not expound to be an expert.

just some guy that did it!!

ok guys honestly there's several ways that work and supplying someone asking with options is good as for which is the best that is a personal preference what works good for one might be a complete disaster for the next person and in the end what works for you is going to be your preference. Tossing insults about the other way doesn't advance the subject

Mysteryrider":vvyxp4aq said:
ok guys honestly there's several ways that work and supplying someone asking with options is good as for which is the best that is a personal preference what works good for one might be a complete disaster for the next person and in the end what works for you is going to be your preference. Tossing insults about the other way doesn't advance the subject
Absolutely correct!

Okay chilidawg if your set up is so wonderful why not bestow that on us all? Give us all a blow by blow step by step build so it can be repeated time after time. I've bought two builds so far that were supposed to be in use when I bought them. When I put them on they were unusable. So far there is not one build that can be duplicated step by step and be workable. Dkl's use of the solex has come closest and has been repeated. You are not the only guy who has done a single carb conversion nor are you the most experienced. Neither am I. But I have read every single post in every single carb conversion thread. Have you?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166535#p166535:2gyeu3ji said:
Mysteryrider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 pm[/url]":2gyeu3ji]

Thank you.

Please pass this on to the moderators!!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166536#p166536:2xu6ud82 said:
slabghost » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:32 pm[/url]":2xu6ud82]
Mysteryrider":2xu6ud82 said:
Absolutely correct!

Okay chilidawg if your set up is so wonderful why not bestow that on us all? Give us all a blow by blow step by step build so it can be repeated time after time. I've bought two builds so far that were supposed to be in use when I bought them. When I put them on they were unusable. So far there is not one build that can be duplicated step by step and be workable. Dkl's use of the solex has come closest and has been repeated. You are not the only guy who has done a single carb conversion nor are you the most experienced. Neither am I. But I have read every single post in every single carb conversion thread. Have you?

chilidawg":2v1wt8i9 said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166535#p166535:2v1wt8i9 said:
Mysteryrider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 pm[/url]":2v1wt8i9]

Thank you.

Please pass this on to the moderators!!
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166500#p166500:2v1wt8i9 said:
chilidawg » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:26 pm[/url]":2v1wt8i9]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166483#p166483:2v1wt8i9 said:
slabghost » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:16 pm[/url]":2v1wt8i9]
Stock carbs or single carbs require fiddling and adjustments. Easiest single so far seems to be a one barrel solex on VW type 4 manifold using grab bars as runners.

Uh uh. The easiest is, without a doubt, the HOTT manifold coupled with a Tom Langdons stovebolt Weber, Quit trying to lead the dude astray!
hey moderators! Oh wait! I'm one of them guys. whatcha suggest here?

I never said yours didn't work nor did I infer it was any worse or better than anyone elses build. The question still stands.What is it you suggest here? Should I say that all the guys running the solex singles are wrong? Should I announce to all the members here that your single carb conversion is the bestest way to go? You will notice that I was so impressed by hott's build I reposted it here with his permission. Go ask him. So again just what is it you suggest?

By the way. made2care. My apologies for adding so much to your thread. I and the rest of the guys here will be happy to help you fix the stock rack or help you through a single carb conversion of your choice.

Wow, I really had no idea this would open up a big can of worms by simply asking such a question. Most of the terms mentioned are Greek to me anyway.
No worries though. It's pretty evident you guys are passionate on this topic.Thanks for the apology, I think we must remind ourselves that maybe each situation can be unique within and of itself. Remember my situation with the head gasket ? and to this day , its possible that a carb was causing the steam from tailpipe. Too many variables !! for me at least.
With this bike I really want to keep it stock but was merely looking at all my options. The more I read on this, its quite fascinating , however, I think I will just clean them up or rebuild.

All is good as I will need much help on the next stage :good:

P.S. For a moment there, I felt like I was on the front row watching Ali vs Frazier :smilie_happy:

facts are facts some refuse facts ...when a project gets to this level ..motor good ...and carbs were a problem on the bike ...it is foolish not to get all the info you can ...stock carbs and stock ignition are the number one reason for poor running problems with oldwings ...plus they leak horribly into motor crankcase...people with not much experience with such lousy design induction system are no match to get them right ....even the best people can only get them close to being equal ....truth is ..you can sync the vacuum ..but this in no way makes carbs equal ..there the slide spring that have to be equal...there the slides that have to be equal ..then theres the tolerances in the fitting of slides in carb bodies ...this just trounces the syncing of carbs with vacuum ...truth is this design is so far from equal its laughable ....if the motors compression is not perfect ...there is no way to ever sync the carbs in reality ...each carb runs on that cylinders condition ..no adjusting can fix that ..you can sync at idle with gauges and then revv motor and watch the vac signal go off ..flat out proof they are not equal there ..these motor are 40 yrs old now and the cylinders are far from equal ..so many people do fine jobs on the carbs and never get the bike to run right ..cause the design is incapable to equalize except in a perfect equal motor ...plain and simple ...in my opinion that what one is up against with stock carbs ...this is not to say you cant get them to work ok ...you can

ok ..its my opinion ..there is no car carb that matches the oldwing motor as stock ...but it dose seem the one barrel solex dose the best without carb mods ...but this carb in no way can covers what the oldwing motor can demand or want ...but appears to be as good or better than stock carbs ....with single carb set ups ..all cylinders are in a collection together and then draw on carb for gas charge...this by itself beats stock in equalization of gas charge ...but dialing in a carb to be right plays big part here ...an equal not dial in car carb is no better than stock carbs or even worst ....

we have tried here to make a simple easy bolt on and adjust car carb mod that would like cover all oldwings ...this simply just hasnt happen ...ive got many hrs into car carb work on my bike witch is not stock motor ..ive read and collaborated with others to realize that in no way are motors the same ...so what works for me might not for others ...

personally ive gotten to a point where my car carb performs well over stock carbs ...well actually stock carbs on my motor simply didnt work at all ...hooch could drain the bowls dry on stock carbs in less than few hundred yards if you got on it ...also with the car carb on hooch ..it is no where near stock ..it like a completely different carb than it was and had to be... to be dial in ....so there is no easy path for oldwing gas charge stock or car carb ...but there is one thing that is a fact ...a car carb that a 2 barrel design progressive carb ...covers the entire rpm zone a oldwing motor can have 0-to red line ..as it starts out as a small carb that grows as the rpm goes up the carb gets bigger ..this feature alone blows away all other set ups if its dial in right ...never is there a spot through out rpm zone that lacks ...people think im good with oldwings ...well i tell you ..it was a battle to get where im at ..and it seemed i lost most battles along the way ...but glad i finally got it close like where im at ....

so there is no easy path in carb of what ever kind really....so either way made2care put your boots on ...its going to be a bit rough ..personally id go for working the stock rack to see if it can do well ..its right there before you ...car carb is not ...

I rebuilt my stock rack having phenominal results. Some ppl clean them and skip the vital step of replacing the rubbery bits which is going to lead to :Awe: .

My advice would be to 1: if you rebuild the stock rack jump in with both feet, do it correctly, don't cut any corners to save a few bucks. In the end it's not worth the agrivation.

2: if you chose to build a single carb set up jump in with both feet, do it correctly, don't cut any corners to save a few bucks. Be ready for some "trial and error" work as dialing in a single set up requires some tinkering.

Either path you chose you will find advocates od both and plenty of help along the way. In the end it has to be all up to you and we will support you. There are compelling arguments on both sides of the coin. And just because you rebuild the stock rack doesn't mean you can't fiddle with a single set up as well and visa versa.

o rings do not make or break stock carb rebuild at all ...its foolish to spend big bucks to see if stock carbs are viable ....in working with them its easy to figure if one is not sealing ...to advocate spending a huge price one could also buy carb and all for SCC conversion is just not the right first move ....sorry to disagree with you ...if your motor is not perfect in compression all the way around to begin with ..stock carbs can never be balanced gas charge and are always late acting ...ive got super many hrs in stock carbs also i know them well ...better than the so called gurus ...and i also have SCC experience also at a high level ....

i respect your opinion ..but you have no idea what a single can be like on a oldwing ...and i have both ...spending big money on stock carbs is a bad first move ....there are many who have and have bought video too and totally had nothing that worked right on there bike ...the stock system is so marginal one has to to see if viable first....there are just to many weak spots in stock system ...to where eventually there just junk like a block with a hole in it from a rod that came loose...no rebuild kit will fix that ...even rebuild kits cant fix leaking shafts ..wore out bushing in linkage ...compromise carb bodies from corrosion ...

i seen some horrible carb racks that were just impossible to make work decent ...