Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166630#p166630:3a39pjqa said:
joedrum » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:08 am[/url]":3a39pjqa]
o rings do not make or break stock carb rebuild at all ...its foolish to spend big bucks to see if stock carbs are viable ....in working with them its easy to figure if one is not sealing ...to advocate spending a huge price one could also buy carb and all for SCC conversion is just not the right first move ....sorry to disagree with you ...if your motor is not perfect in compression all the way around to begin with ..stock carbs can never be balanced gas charge and are always late acting ...ive got super many hrs in stock carbs also i know them well ...better than the so called gurus ...and i also have SCC experience also at a high level ....

i respect your opinion ..but you have no idea what a single can be like on a oldwing ...and i have both ...spending big money on stock carbs is a bad first move ....there are many who have and have bought video too and totally had nothing that worked right on there bike ...the stock system is so marginal one has to to see if viable first....there are just to many weak spots in stock system ...to where eventually there just junk like a block with a hole in it from a rod that came loose...no rebuild kit will fix that ...even rebuild kits cant fix leaking shafts ..wore out bushing in linkage ...compromise carb bodies from corrosion ...

i seen some horrible carb racks that were just impossible to make work decent ...

It's just not fair to speak in absolutes when it comes to any SCC, after all Joe it took dozens of trials to get hooch to where it is today. :hi:

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166630#p166630:1gtgg70q said:
joedrum » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:08 am[/url]":1gtgg70q]
o rings do not make or break stock carb rebuild at all ...its foolish to spend big bucks to see if stock carbs are viable ....in working with them its easy to figure if one is not sealing ...to advocate spending a huge price one could also buy carb and all for SCC conversion is just not the right first move ....sorry to disagree with you ...if your motor is not perfect in compression all the way around to begin with ..stock carbs can never be balanced gas charge and are always late acting ...ive got super many hrs in stock carbs also i know them well ...better than the so called gurus ...and i also have SCC experience also at a high level ....

i respect your opinion ..but you have no idea what a single can be like on a oldwing ...and i have both ...spending big money on stock carbs is a bad first move ....there are many who have and have bought video too and totally had nothing that worked right on there bike ...the stock system is so marginal one has to to see if viable first....there are just to many weak spots in stock system ...to where eventually there just junk like a block with a hole in it from a rod that came loose...no rebuild kit will fix that ...even rebuild kits cant fix leaking shafts ..wore out bushing in linkage ...compromise carb bodies from corrosion ...

i seen some horrible carb racks that were just impossible to make work decent ...

I couldnt disagree more on not changing the orings and rubber bits Joe. Perhaps you never got one to work right because you skipped this vital step? My bike ran great with stock racks and I have incredibly low compression (fixing that now). We all know what you have done with Hooch. We all know it runs real well. We also all know that you have years perfecting the system and also have nothing positive to say about stock racks.

If you leave the old rubbery bits in the rack you may as well just not do anything to it. I wouldnt ride a bike with 40 year old tires on it and I wouldnt leave 40 year old rubber in my stock rack and then spout how they suck when they dont work right.

Not that kits aren't nice. Often the new bits are worse than the old and are expensive.I didn't tear down the carbs on my 80 at all. I simply cleaned the jets and blew out the passages then put it back in use and it works fine.

ive had perfect running stock carbs bronko ...on a bike that torched other oldwings in the angry dresser 1100 with a 77 carb rack and early 75 cams in motor ...now quit slandering ..im not doing that to you ...if you want to know something about me and my work ..just go to my profile and and go though my topics ....i had years of work here long before any single carb project bronko ...the angry dresser and it stock carbs never did run in second to anything i ever came across at meet and greets and such ...a lot looked like they were going 100mph sitting still ...angry was a full dresser ....give me a break... :whip:

I know all about you and your work Joe, wasnt slandering mate. Just aking questions sheesh. I thought the point of the forum was to offer many varieties of answers, not all think the same way. :0fftopic:

This group is getting pretty sensitive. Ill just be over here and keep my mouth shut.

bronko not sensitive...but we at classic mostly think ...looking stock racks over carefully and with pics is best route first especially for new to it people is all ...then you .i and others can give advice what to do ..as we have done so far through this thread ...it may be all that needed is some atf mix in the gas and run it ...lets both not get carried away here ... :blush:

Carbs are always a hot topic. So many points of view. We are all passionate about our machines and mods we cant help but defend em.

All this and we think the Harley guys are nutz... :smilie_happy:

Yeah for sure.

Often though the stock carbs don't need to be torn down and re-sealed though, which was the case earlier in this thread. If it isn't broken don't fix it goes a long way here.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166641#p166641:3gwmoq7w said:
dan filipi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am[/url]":3gwmoq7w]
Yeah for sure.

Often though the stock carbs don't need to be torn down and re-sealed though, which was the case earlier in this thread. If it isn't broken don't fix it goes a long way here.

If its not broken, fix it till it is... :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166638#p166638:9kva592v said:
joedrum » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:24 am[/url]":9kva592v]
bronko not sensitive...but we at classic mostly think ...looking stock racks over carefully and with pics is best route first especially for new to it people is all ...then you .i and others can give advice what to do ..as we have done so far through this thread ...it may be all that needed is some atf mix in the gas and run it ...lets both not get carried away here ... :blush:

Nothing but respect for you and your builds Joe.... :music:

Group Hug!!
danceparty.gif

:hihihi:

I figured that one looked the most like the CGW group. btw..that's YOU spinning in circles in the front... :smilie_happy: :good:

It's just nice to see two fellers have a disagreement aboot something, and for once, it dint get out of hand, and no-one got their panties in a wad over it. :clapping:

I have tried to keep up with all of the SCC stuff here, just gathering info for when/IF I ever decide to go that route. Youse guys that have already done it are making it so much easier for the rest of us that may want to try it. I realize no ONE set-up is gunna be perfect first time, but...the time ya'll have spent tweeking your particular set-ups, and posting the results here makes a big impact on the rest of the group. :thanks: :thanks:

True enough, the stock carb's have pressed in idle jet's not talked about a lot being removable, & cleanable. Also way too many, as well as being way too expensive, rubber part's. :roll: The original part's that were used were very well made, & of the best quality rubber i've ever seen. :good: The carb's on some my 1200's look to be untouched, :shock: others only have new needle & seat valves, with float bowel gasket's,(o'ring's),then the rest just cleaned, & reassembled. :yes:Other side of the coin, a new single carb, & manifold, verses a set of badly buggered ones, :Awe: makes a single carb a welcome possibillity :Doh2:

Okay, its leaking again and I have several options. Let me first say that when I had my 1200, I had the budget (not now though) to ship them off to Mike Nixon and when they came back, the bike ran like a dream. I'm talking about this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7y5OZ0Ztew

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7y5OZ0Ztew[/video]

So ............ again a reminder I know nothing about the internals of carbs

option 1- keep running ATF but the leak is significant
option 2- take out and clean and assess with help what needs work
option 3- rebuild if needed
option 4- ship off later on
option 5- single carb - last resort

P.s. To Joel, your build is amazing :rocks:

Keep running the atf and see if you can induce the float to operate as it should or remove the rack and open that 1 carb.

1) That a very beautiful bike
2) I hope the problem is resolved soon! Carbs are a fiddly business if there ever was one!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166661#p166661:72ut7ipl said:
made2care » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:56 am[/url]":72ut7ipl]
Okay, its leaking again and I have several options. Let me first say that when I had my 1200, I had the budget (not now though) to ship them off to Mike Nixon and when they came back, the bike ran like a dream. I'm talking about this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7y5OZ0Ztew

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7y5OZ0Ztew[/video]

So ............ again a reminder I know nothing about the internals of carbs

option 1- keep running ATF but the leak is significant
option 2- take out and clean and assess with help what needs work
option 3- rebuild if needed
option 4- ship off later on
option 5- single carb - last resort

P.s. To Joel, your build is amazing :rocks:

Mike Nixon does great work and is a really good guy, he uses all genuine Honda parts where available.
Aussiegold has had a great result with Pistol Pete's work on his carbies :good:

Latest posts