Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, had a freak accident (non motorcycle) yesterday. Unloading some old cabinetry wood I had torn out of my garage to make more workbench room. Somehow a plank dropped , bounced on the tailgate and hit my hand. Unfortunately, a two inch nail punctured my hand, hurt like hell. Went and got the tetanus shot just to be safe. Could have been worse, hitting my eye or something.......
Anyway, be careful everyone. I am always very careful, wear eye protection, etc, etc, but this was just a freak ordeal. all is good.
Today I'm going to put radiator back on and will fire her up. Curious on how much quieter she will be. A lot quieter I'm sure than my primeval yell I gave when nail punctured my hand. :smilie_happy:

Radiator on. The wanderer is running nicely now. Now more front squealing :music: will take her out today, then start on rebuilding rear shocks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175147#p175147:5zlpdk1y said:
made2care » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:48 am[/url]":5zlpdk1y]
Radiator on. The wanderer is running nicely now. Now more front squealing :music: will take her out today, then start on rebuilding rear shocks.
:good: :clapping: :salute:

Rear shocks apart. Not changing springs just oil seals .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 137
Hope that work's out well for you, :yes: the stock one's on mine were shot, :roll: they needed spring's, damper's, & boot's. :headscratch: The stock can's were in nice shape, :good: they are now the same as the Progressive's on my other bike's at a sizable saving's, & look great. :yahoo:

+1 on the springs especially if you are finding it hard to get your bike on the center stand.

I will go with 1170 kit for a mere $55 and will have to fashion a spring compression tool per the "how to's" on here.
reviews show much improvement.
I will say this, I rebuilt the front forks with progressives and the bike leans down forward, so hopefully the rear rebuild will level things out somehow by pulling the front up a little.

Not very likely to happen. :headscratch: The spring's, as well as damper's will make a huge improvement, but stock damper's from Progressive are going to raise the rear. :roll: They make a set of damper's an inch or so shorter you can order, if the added height is not what you want. :yes:

Decided to do total rebuild on rear shocks . Check out the bumper stop ! It's now an official gummy bear !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 159
35 years old, :headscratch: sadly all that i've torn apart, i would not reuse, :nea: the can's, snap ring's, & washers are about all the original part's left in mine. :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175510#p175510:tzc0hcz2 said:
Denver » Yesterday, 6:52 pm[/url]":tzc0hcz2]
35 years old, :headscratch: sadly all that i've torn apart, i would not reuse, :nea: the can's, snap ring's, & washers are about all the original part's left in mine. :doh:

New parts on the way. saving $$$$$ doing it this way too. I've done plenty of forks but this is my first rear shock rebuild and its pretty straight forward as you know.

Latest posts