Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the can's might be the same, :headscratch: the damper's are of a different length, :yes: the spring's i'm not sure. :roll:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175549#p175549:1tvra36f said:
Denver » Today, 8:29 am[/url]":1tvra36f]
No the can's might be the same, :headscratch: the damper's are of a different length, :yes: the spring's i'm not sure. :roll:
Okay, thanks

Shoot, I accidentally nicked the dampner rod on the rear shock. I was attempting to remove the nut and didnt realize the visegrip was a little tight. Not paying attention. Can i try to smooth it down or do i need to get another shock?
If you look in the picture 5 postings up, with the red pen, its that rod. I took a file to it but its still rough.
darn it :head bang:
p.s. the vise has rubber pads but it still dug into rod

I wish you had posted before you filed. Nick from clamping is a metal distortion. Often with a little effort and careful use of a smooth face ball peen hammer you can force the metal back into place. As it is now I'm not sure how much or if this will affect function or sealing of the components. Post some pictures and some who've done this will better be able to judge and advise.

How high up on the rod, or how close to the thread's? If mark's on the rod, & where the rubber gum was located, it should work out. Why did you want to take the nut off? Hold the nut, turn the top of shock with a long round shank screw driver or any round bar to turn when shock is compressed enough, to grab the nut.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175626#p175626:7oi508fz said:
Denver » Yesterday, 9:36 pm[/url]":7oi508fz]
How high up on the rod, or how close to the thread's? If mark's on the rod, & where the rubber gum was located, it should work out. Why did you want to take the nut off? Hold the nut, turn the top of shock with a long round shank screw driver or any round bar to turn when shock is compressed enough, to grab the nut.

Its in the middle of the rod. I had to get the nut off in order to place new bumper stop on.
I didn't have any problems with the other one but for some reason this one gave a fight.

Marks are about an inch long located in between red lines. The rod does not slide smoothly now. I think I'm screwed .
I've tried filing it and it smoothed it out a little but marks are too deep to fix I think.
Might have to get another shock , which I hate to do since I was budgeting this rebuild pretty well. This is the right shock not left.
Ideas??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 115
I wonder if the guts from a set of progressive air shocks would work. They won't hold air & Progressive stated that they don't have parts to rebuild. If you think it will help we can see if we can get them to you. They are from my '86.

You need a set of damper's, :roll: have ordered them in the past from Progressive through my shop several times over the year's, with good results. :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175707#p175707:2igqr5iq said:
julimike54 » Yesterday, 5:14 pm[/url]":2igqr5iq]
I wonder if the guts from a set of progressive air shocks would work. They won't hold air & Progressive stated that they don't have parts to rebuild. If you think it will help we can see if we can get them to you. They are from my '86.

Thanks for the offer but I think i'm just going to get another used shock and use the dampner from that.
I checked on progressive dampners and they are ridiculously expensive. I already have the new progressive springs and seals, so will just go with stock dampner.
This will teach me to pay attention in the future

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175777#p175777:3s0c2i77 said:
made2care » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 pm[/url]":3s0c2i77]
Got lucky, found a used shock for $20 +free shipping. Will just swap out dampners and I'm good to go.
:clapping: :yahoo: Good deal! Back on track.

Oh no, what am I thinking. Just kidding, still waiting on shock part.
Also a pic of my new workbench I built, more room for more stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 154
Wow, just completed rear shocks and took her for a test run, Wow :clapping: what a difference. Now I realize how shot those 35 year old shocks were. Bike handles incredible and she's not leaning forward anymore, very comfortable ride, except for my long legs cramping. Will have to get some highway pegs.

This took about 3 hrs and here is some info if you are considering rebuilding your rear shocks. I'm sure this info is already on this site but oh well:

2 Honda seals - pt # 91257-463-013 $36.01 including shipping ($8) - bikebandit
2 rubber bumper stoppers - pt # 9.8104 $4.60 about 7 bucks shipping - energy suspension
1 set progressive springs - 00-1170 $55.00 free shipping with amazon prime
Belray 15W fork oil - 10.5 ounces in each shock $0 - already had it
xtra used shock -I screwed up 1 of the originals $19.99 free shipping - ebay
2 @ 2 " pipe flange fittings ( compression tool) $30.00 local hardware store
---------
Total $145.60

So, there you go. Saved $$$$$ and now I know how to rebuild rear air shocks on a goldwing. This was more involved than front forks and the snap rings can be tricky.

Latest posts