hooch getting a new fuel source

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167512#p167512:1u9trhpx said:
slabghost » 1 minute ago[/url]":1u9trhpx]
advance t1 just a touch and reset c5.
Yep. Or just rotate the encoder wheel a degree or 2 at a time and try it.

anyway on my bike ...to be up to date ..and on my weber carb 32-34 that is complete strip down to a strait carb and the last mod was elimination of the idle circuit mix screw feed for idle ...this made my bike lean at idle ...this is not really all that big a problem ...but it surges at idle ...pass that ..it is just killer carburation ...so i have up the idle jet in the primary bbl to a very high level as an experiment to get a better idle ...so far ive gotten that ...idle all comes from the off idle transition feed right at the throttle plate line .....still waiting to ride it as rain has dominated the area here also very windy and cold for fla ....so stay tuned maybe sometime today hopefully ... :thanks:

ok i finally got to ride it ...well seems this was a great move ..rode hooch to a superbowl party ....man it had to be the coldest here so far this winter ...the idling issues with hooch improved hugely ....hooch was very easy to deal with at stop and go riding ....the elimination of the mix screw idle circuit allowed for a much bigger idle jet ...it also allowed me to completely eliminate the air bleed under the throttle plate also ..and im currently have the mix screw plugged ..so no air there and no gas ...like it was never there ....i havnt looked back in this thread yet but im rather sure now that the primary idle barrel jet is 90 in size ... :shock: thats huge....cutting back feed of the idle circuit really has leaned the carb ...most hugest effect of leaning out the dft carb i have ever done since the beginning of my SCC quest on hooch .....so the previous idle jet of 45 had to be put in the secondary barrel ...like 1/2 the size it was ...i was expecting this to hurt the transition to secondary from primary barrle but so far it seems it hasnt hurt that at all ....the idle jet in secondary is just a momentary bump ..almost like the accelerator pump is on primary barrel .....

i will have to look back for check the jetting where im at overall ...but the main gas jets in the weber are rather huge compaired to stock jets that carb had ...when set up for car ....

in this set up idle was good to me it has like a 200rpm float it goes through that is very slow in acting like 30 second cycle to go through one ...and seems the motor never stuggles to stay running like it was doing at idle while riding ...and the rpm swing was 500 rpm ...enough to struggle in this very lean condition it was in with the 45 jet .....

power seemed as i only have rode this in the very cold ...was hugely better down low in rpm ....when i got on it ...hooch just flat out kick ass through the rpm zone wow...i thought ....

cant wait to ride again ...hope the weather is a bit better ...had the lowers off...sheesh that made the ride last night rather cold ...putting them back on and expect no running issues ......very pleased so ...i got this bike really up there as in dial in ...on hooch it is very apparent that gas feed was the biggest problem in dialing into the hooch motor ...as of now the feed rate is inline with motor .... :thanks:

ok my jetting right now for hooch primary barrel ....idle jet 80..main jet 120...air bleed 160.....secondary barrel idle jet 45.....main jet 180.....air bleed 160 ....is the current jetting with the 32-34 dft totally strip down strait carb and elimination of mix screw idle circuit ...no added heat to the grab bar shovelking induction system with 1 1/2 runners to the heads system ..with type four plenum and 2 to one high rise carb mount set up ...very bad ass ...

i see on other forums ...im still seeing seat of pants discounts going on as not rieable ..oh well id say if i would let someone ride hooch the seat of the pants comformation would be the silent brown spot in there pants of after a ride ....i have to get another vid up hooch is just frame ripping powerful through the gears ...very pleased .... :yahoo:

yep just got back from another ride sheesh bike is really pulling the wheel up in second gear ...about twice as high as before ...and will bring up the wheel in third too ....gee what a great move this was .....bike just got even funner to ride with even more punch :yahoo: :thanks: ...

blocked the air there too dan ...i have a screw plug in the mix screw hole now ...all air is coming through the top of the carb now ....pluging the air there got me a better idle than leaving it open ... in sure it will run that way now havnt done that yet as im only rides into this mod ...just got back from another ride and having great fun with the bike

well it was great to have great idle as good as stock ...but it was running just to rich...hooch likes rich but it dont take long for plug get way blacken ...ive put everything back as i had it before ... :hihihi:

ok it seems that what i tried and where i was is far apart ...it seems i need to be able to control the air under the carb to get a happy point on the idle i will try something today along that line with what little i have to work with here ....as with any kind of jetting i need to be able to adjust thiis ...and at the moment im a bit to big and lean open and way rich when totally closed :thanks:

ok finally got an idle that not to lean ...had a day where i could work on hooch and try and figure it out ....when i stop the gas from going to the mix screw completely that replace a temporary one that didnt stop all the gas ...when that happen i started having idle trouble some ....it went way lean .. but it also got some good mpg reading ...i know this 32-34 dft carb big time .....

so today i decided that i needed to close up the fixed air bleed on this carb ....this should be a jet and not fixed at all like the main jets are ....so the top came off carb ..still on the bike ...no problem there

if you been following this thread you know i have a carb air bleed under the throttle plate that goes to the air box ...a mod i did early last summer ...

so after reducing the size of air bleed ...i fill the hole some with a safty pin a small one really small..made long enough to come out easy ....it went rich again on me....

so from there i reduced gas idle jet ...again by plugging hole some ...as i have no tools here to work with ... a wire brush bristle is what i used ...have no idea what the sizes are on anything ....but this gave me a idle that falls right back to idle and hangs there ...ive been about 10 miles on it and its doing fine so far we will see ..

this is not a how too post ...its desperation post on what you can do to get by.......sort of a caveman style....

man carburation is a touchy thing and be in the sweet spot :builder: :thanks:

wow...ok this is joedum ...im at jpwinger place ...been on a trip home from the peach state...I was going to post an mpg post on hooch ...but so far ive been a 183.4miles and havnt hit reserve yet....ive made this trip several times and always stop before jerries to get gas ....so im pleased ...the miles are almost all interstate ...average speed 75mph....motor running in mid 3000s in rpm ....bike is smooth as silk....and hasnt missed a lick it seems ....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169047#p169047:rw2gw6gv said:
jpwinger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:45 am[/url]":rw2gw6gv]
wow...ok this is joedum ...im at jpwinger place ...been on a trip home from the peach state...I was going to post an mpg post on hooch ...but so far ive been a 183.4miles and havnt hit reserve yet....ive made this trip several times and always stop before jerries to get gas ....so im pleased ...the miles are almost all interstate ...average speed 75mph....motor running in mid 3000s in rpm ....bike is smooth as silk....and hasnt missed a lick it seems ....

I am jealous. :mrgreen:
122 then 126 miles the next two fill ups with only about 50ks of highway running. At 75mph I am pretty sure the Rats Nest is over 5000rpm. Then again that low gearing does let me ride with my mates on their performance bikes even without a back brake for a while :good:

ok final tally is 193.7 miles ...4 galions of gas ...must say all riding was rather flat ground in this part of country....

well truth is hooch is a road monster and keeps up with anything out there ....i just love the gearing it has ....on the second leg of trip from jerrys to my house it was at night ...and came upon a victory v twin i guess it was ....he tried to run away from me ...that didnt come close to happening i could catch him at will and run right up to him ...but when he wanted to go plus 100mph cruising i decided i didnt care for ticket hunting and let him go ....gee this bike runs well in cool weather ....

it was a strange that i didnt see many bikes out on the interstate ride to jerrys during the day ...was rather nice riding weather to me .....havnt crunched the figures but it seems to be dam near 50 mpg on interstate run ...im pleased :thanks:

Latest posts