Questions To The Lady Wingers Out There!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sat on and ridden a few bikes and one of the best feel c are the V twins from Japan or the US..With the low slung seat, the engine weight in the center...Might be a good choice.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144454#p144454:1ep8o1j3 said:
zman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:57 am[/url]":1ep8o1j3]
I have sat on and ridden a few bikes and one of the best feel c are the V twins from Japan or the US..With the low slung seat, the engine weight in the center...Might be a good choice.

I rode an 800 Intruder for several years. It was a nice ride for a few hundred miles... not sure I would want to do a cross country trip on one though - I like the back rest on the Wing too much now.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144459#p144459:ylph0p9r said:
brianinpa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:28 am[/url]":ylph0p9r]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144454#p144454:ylph0p9r said:
zman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:57 am[/url]":ylph0p9r]

I rode an 800 Intruder for several years. It was a nice ride for a few hundred miles... not sure I would want to do a cross country trip on one though - I like the back rest on the Wing too much now.
The Roadstar and vulcan are both nice choices, rode the Vulcan and sheesh! It was nice, neighbor has a Roadstar and is always on it so it must be comfortable, looks it anyways.
By the way the Vulcan`s exhaust note is indistinguishable from the Harley, every other V twin I can tell but the Vulcan the same..I thought they sued the Japanese from using their sound, must have lost.

Hmm, I'm thinking could do the same thing by cutting the stock springs shorter but I don't know what that would do to the compression rate of the spring.
Does progressive sell these kits for our bikes?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145544#p145544:1mys9m7n said:
Omega Man » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:03 pm[/url]":1mys9m7n]
How does changing the orientation of the motor/trans affect those components in regard to fluids? They are designed to work at a specific level.

~O~
In use the bikes are constantly changing angles front to rear accelerating or decelerating. Add in leans for turns. I don't think a little drop of the front will be much of an issue to the motor oil. I expect most will also drop the rear too.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145540#p145540:1lsk60ey said:
dan filipi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:27 pm[/url]":1lsk60ey]
Hmm, I'm thinking could do the same thing by cutting the stock springs shorter but I don't know what that would do to the compression rate of the spring.
Does progressive sell these kits for our bikes?
I think they do. I do not think just cutting our already weak springs helps much. In the video, he shows how the little spring compresses when the bike drops into the forks, but of course that will spring out as the forks expand and the recompress.

:yahoo: Looks like we are going to be aquiring another Wing!! :Egyptian:

My Brother In Law called and said that if we offer $500, the bike is ours, he and his Wife will cover the difference!! :yahoo:

I do a lot of other work for them on a barter basis and this is a deal for us!! :moped:

Took a look at the bike tonight! :music2:

Maybe not so good........ :cheeky:

It truly was running when parked, 3 years ago! Gas went bad, carbs won't even let gas drip! :shock:

Pulled the plugs, cranked the engine by hand (took a bit to get it to move), finally broke it free. Swapped out the new dead battery with my battery (good thing I rode my bike). Cranked the engine and spit out all of the loose stuff. :hihihi:

Did a compression check and 3 cylinders are at 148 lbs, but #3 was only at 130 lbs. (Assuming sticking rings.) Plugs back in and attempt to start. Gas will not flow. Short of it, I pour a bit of gas down the intake with the air filter removed. Fired right up for 1 minute than died from lack of gas. Tapped the bowels, used the choke, wide open throttle......no go, them carbs are slimed big time!

The gas lines need to be flushed and the tank smells awful.

Shocks have no air and I could not test to see if the seals are working in the shocks. Wiring seems good and all lights work correctly. Actually, both horns actually work (first for me!)

Brakes, well, what do you expect from a bike that has literally not moved (or been touched) in three years. Could barely turn the back wheel against the brakes. Front wheel, stuck.

The paint is good all around. But $1500??? Naw, needs a lot of work to get road worthy. $500 total is all I would be willing to offer and then it still needs another $800 to $1000 worth of work.

:headscratch:

Well, it would be my $500 plus my brother in laws $1000 for $1500 total asking price. I disagree that it is worth $1500 as a current non-runner without a lot of work. My estimate for repairs for road worthiness is running about $1100.

I whole heartedly agree with your assessment. No reason to blow money. Yours or anyone else. $1500 is a fair price for a ride ready runner. Not a parts bike with title.

The whole issue has been settled once and for all. My daughter is now home and we did some experimenting with our Wing. As is with the tires at 41 PSI and the shocks full of air, she cannot get the bike off the side stand...her right foot is almost 1 foot off the ground with her left foot on the ground.

Let the air completely out of the shocks so that the bike dropped about 2". She can now swing her leg over, but still has trouble swinging the bike off the side stand. Dropped the forks a bit and she can now get the bike off the side stand, but her heels are still 4" in the air.

Pulled the Saddleman seat and installed an OEM seat. No difference. Matter of fact, the OEM seat is a bit taller.

Face it, the 1100 Goldwing is just too big for her. Time to look at a bike that sits lower to ground (at least in the seat!)

The Vulcan is a really nice bike and can be pretty low. So are the suzuki volusia and boulevard models.

Latest posts