Rear tire...AGAIN...the continuing saga...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:headscratch:
I rides the same way I did with the "original" Dunlop EII that survived 2 years until the tread separated. Don't know how old that tire was when I bought the bike.

Still had plenty of tread.....

I don't baby it, but I also don't take off from a stop like a bat outta hell. I really think the biggest issue is the load rating of the tires. Gerry, I don't think your ride is quite as heavy as mine. The Hondaline fairing is definitely heavier than the Vetter, plus I have the add-on stereo. And...I don't know, but I might weight a little more than you at 230(give or take :blush: ). Might also have something to do with road conditions here....some of them surfaces are pretty rough/course. Lot's of rain grooves(parallel and perpendicular) in cement surfaces, too. 90% of my commute is straight down the road...very few curves anywhere, so the bike is pretty much straight up all the time.
I've never spun the rear tire, or even tried a burn out...or wheelie...not that I haven't thought aboot it.... :blush: :smilie_happy:

Ya'll think the 75-80 mph cruize speed is contributing? Once you get to a specific velocity, there really shouldn't be much extra stress on the tread wear..no? :headscratch:

There's a great tire test of the Shinko going on right now, Tony's trip. He's running hard and heavily loaded. A new 230 has 10/32 tread depth in the center groove. I hope that he will provide a report on the tire and the tread depth when his trip is complete. The 16,000 miles I got out of my first one was 95% stop and go, short, less than 50 mile straight runs the other 5 %.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93078#p93078:2rcuoeeb said:
AApple » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 am[/url]":2rcuoeeb]
Gerry, I don't think your ride is quite as heavy as mine. The Hondaline fairing is definitely heavier than the Vetter, plus I have the add-on stereo. And...I don't know, but I might weight a little more than you at 230(give or take :blush: ).

Possible! (Except the human factor.......weighing in about 240 lbs over here :oops: ) Thats why all the rain water runs East out to the Atlantic.....its because of me sitting on my bike by the beach! :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93078#p93078:1b01wdan said:
AApple » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 am[/url]":1b01wdan]
The Hondaline fairing is definitely heavier than the Vetter.

Good point if that is the case. For the sake of numbers, I will be taking my fairing off with the radio and throw it up on the scale! I can also weigh my bags since they pop right off. It might be good information to know how much static weight is really on these back tires. I do know from the '82 Interstate manual that Honda decreased the total load capacity on an '82 Standard from a total 490 lbs down on the '82 Interstate to 395 lbs. I would assume it is fair to say that Honda figured the bags, bars and trunk weigh in at 95 lbs.

viewtopic.php?p=92555#p92555

What I know about tires is ask any heavy tow truck driver and they'll tell you they do a LOT more tire changes on semi trucks in the summer here, particularly in the desert areas where temps are over 105+.
Obviously that's because of the road heat and the long haul at higher speed which heats the rubber up.
Hot rubber becomes more sticky and soft so it makes sense it'll wear faster and since asphalt is much hotter than concrete it's that much worse.

My own experience is I wear the center much more than the sides because I don't do much twisties.

Running a tire lower than the max stamped on the tire will make it run hotter also.

I can't say for certain but I think load rating has more to do with the sidewall construction.
At least that's true with my van tires carrying a LOT of load. I have to run 10 ply tires. 8 ply makes it handle mushy. Same on the suburban.

road surfaces and joel it that a buched more gas to travel 70plus mph over 60mph....no way dose that dosnt wear more tire and the longer it happens like that its gets worst on tires ...as in a hr strait or all riding like that can CAUSE IM NO TIRE SPINNER EITHER but tires don't last long here

Just an FYI - look at the dry weight differences between the '82 Standard and the '82 Interstate:

'82 Standard:

image.php

'82 Interstate:

image.php

The speed and weight rating for the tires is the same because Honda only reduced the total loading capacity on the Interstate because of the bags and fairing. The allowable Gross Vehicle Weight is the same for both. (1125 lbs)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93018#p93018:2b4hrrua said:
AApple » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:23 pm[/url]":2b4hrrua]
So...I been researching....I wanna go with a tire with a higher load rating, since I think that's prolly a lot of why mine wear out so quick. The BS Spitfire, and the Shinko 230 has a 68 load rating(the Shinko 712 is even lower than that)..which is good for up to 690 pounds.

I checked my rear Spitfires and their load rating is 71 (761 lbs) with an H speed rating (130 MPH). I think you can order Spitfires with the lower rating....but my question is, what is the load rating on your current Spitfires?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93093#p93093:3kkcsscw said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:44 am[/url]":3kkcsscw]
I checked my rear Spitfires and their load rating is 71 (761 lbs) with an H speed rating (130 MPH). I think you can order Spitfires with the lower rating....but my question is, what is the load rating on your current Spitfires?

Well....you would ax me that when the bike is at home, and I'm at werk.... :cheeky: :smilie_happy:
I'm 99.99% certain they were both a 68, but I'll certainly check when I get home(it's rainy here today, so no bike). I don't still have the old "original" Dunlop(or the Dunlop I replace that one with), or I would check it, but I'm fairly certain I replaced that one with the same alpha-numeric spec tire. Plus...your '82 takes a different size tire/rim to begin with, unless you have swapped them.
I'm so confused.... :roll: :mrgreen:

Spec for rear tire inflation on mine is 40lbs....that's what I've always run in it, so I can't see it being an inflation pressure issue. I can certainly see it having to do with the searing heat, but daaaang....I would assume the tire manufacturers would figure that into their compounds..... :headscratch:
Plus, I haven't heard of anyone in, oh, let's say Nevada, complaining about premature tire wear.... :whistling:
:hihihi:

I am looking forward to a report from Tony on how his tires work on his trip. I already know that with the full dress rear end that I added, I am over working the 712 that I have on it know. With the miles I have gone so far this summer, there is no way I will see the 7500ish I saw from the last one, but 16000 from a 230... That is something I could smile about.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93093#p93093:1wl0ma3r said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:44 am[/url]":1wl0ma3r]

Just as I thought...rear is 68, front 62....

The D404s wore out very fast(really pissed me off). What's got me scratching my head is the way your S11 wore out so quickly, mine were still new after 2 years of riding when I sold her.

~O~

I have a Pirelli on the rear of my bike,, stock size order,, and it doesn't fit. 83 aspy.. if you put a big girl on the back it will rub the rear brake ? stationary? bar.. the steel bar that holds the back brake in place. probably is a great tire,,, very big and wide... too wide.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93156#p93156:26cdbdto said:
AApple » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 am[/url]":26cdbdto]
Hmmm...so I'm looking thru the Owner's Manual, and see this...

Seems the Honda recommended load rating for the rear tire is... 68 :shock: :Doh2: :rtfm:
Like Joe say's, just numbers.....and they mean very little these days with different quality tires than back in the 80's and the differing sizes between manufacturers we're seeing.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93156#p93156:2w3g7aol said:
AApple » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:27 am[/url]":2w3g7aol]
Hmmm...so I'm looking thru the Owner's Manual, and see this...

Seems the Honda recommended load rating for the rear tire is... 68 :shock: :Doh2: :rtfm:
Could that be why the '82 was increased to 71? (Honda realized the issue) Hence the reason my Spitfires are lasting longer with the 71 rating? (That was even for the Standard!)

I had a Honda VTX1300. I put a GoodYear Assurance car tire on the rear and I was real happy with the decision. I learned about the swap from the Darksiders web site. Unbelievable traction. Cost was $65 delivered to my door. I expected the tire to last a couple of years or more.

Here we go again.... :blush:
Time to replace...no way around it. Tire is completely shot, and has cords showing. Now...I do have the basically new Spitfire, that had a nail in it. I did put a patch on it a couple of months ago, but not really sure the patch is gunna seal properly. So now...Imma thinking I could get a tube, put the patchy tire on, and get thru until it's too cold to ride, then put another new tire on. I need to do this tomorrow. I would rather put a new tire on, but no-one locally carries the size I need...it would have to be ordered.
Why , oh why...do I procrastinate on stuff like this? :Doh2: So :whip: mebody please just shoot me......
I really thought this one would survive for a few more weeks, but....it dint.... :popcorn: