Rear tire...AGAIN...the continuing saga...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to know it lasted this long for you. Maybe you should really consider a front mud flap that brushes the debris out of the rear tires path?

Otay...just ordered two new tars(front and rear) from Bike Bandit. Shinko 230 Tourmasters, total cost $137.90 with free shipping. Hope they get here as quickly as the last one did....like, in one day!
We'll see how well these things hold up. :good:
Randy, it's ALL yer fault....you know it is...... :whip: :whip: :hihihi:
Mud flap wouldn't have kept the tire from shedding a chunk of tread off, but it certainly wouldn't hurt a dang thing, either. I been looking around for a while to find something neat to make one out of that won't look silly, but haven't seen anything I like. Guess I could just get a sheet of rubber, or belting material if it comes to that.
I been real pleased with this last tire....it's been wearing great, and hasn't developed any cracks anywhere, and has held 40psi of air since the day I mounted it....until yesterday. It wasn't completely flat this morning, but it was low enough for me to notice it...which is a good thing. Another good thing is that the area with the missing rubber is right where the valve stem is....otherwise, I would have NOT seen it, and rode it on in to work. Chances are, I wouldn't have made it.... :nea:

I'll get some pics of the tire and the busted center stand leg this evenin when I get home. I'm gunna attempt to tear the thing down and get the tire off tonite, unless the temps just make it impossible. Onced I have the tire off, I'll get the center stand off so I can weld it back together.
Did I mention our refridgadeezer took a dump last Sunday? Couldn't get a new one delivered until Wednesday. I asked if I could come pick it up meself....."Sure...you can pick it up FRIDAY"....WHUUUUT? :shock: Anyway, Mama's been stressed out over that ordeal, since she had JUST done the weekly shopping Sunday.....we lost every dang thing that was in the fridge, except what few things she managed to get in the big cooler with ice.

Oh Lawd....when it rains, it pours..... :crying:
:smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129496#p129496:3fqwgkjj said:
Omega Man » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 pm[/url]":3fqwgkjj]
:Doh2: Pffft, have you thought about going on a diet? :whistling:

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky: :roll: :hihihi:
Steve.... :thanks: ...I'll P/M ya.

Least O didn't mention your fridge so we can't blame him for that !!! Just your new tire... :doh:
Let's hope the Shinkos do you proud :yes: 13k miles on a patched one!! My head hurts :head bang: and I always though Arizona was hotter than Texas :smilie_happy:

I really saw nothing wrong with a patch or 2!! and phoenix is hot... i guess ignorance is bliss and i'm going to keep running it until it goes bald or flat. Give those new tires hell Texas!!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129519#p129519:3qvdk8fi said:
sgq700 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:21 am[/url]":3qvdk8fi]
I really saw nothing wrong with a patch or 2!! and phoenix is hot... i guess ignorance is bliss and i'm going to keep running it until it goes bald or flat. Give those new tires hell Texas!!!
You gave better milage on your patched tires than I have on my cleanskins :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129536#p129536:eigsp074 said:
sgq700 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:56 pm[/url]":eigsp074]
all my riding is on the interstate from 60 to 80 mph so the tires don't get torn up much

So is mine...only a few miles in any kind of slower speed traffic.

Here's a couple o pics of the tire...

:moped:

32psi front, 40psi in the rear....just as the manual says. That spec is for one loaded to vehicle limit...which it prolly is most of the time. Is there an idea that lowering the rear to the 32psi recommended for a 200# load might help? :whistling:

btw....as O-man pointed out...my fat arse weighs more than 200# to begin with, and then add in what gear I usually carry(jacket, helmet, tools, including small air compressor and jump box, quart o oil, etc)....I'm prolly pushing close to the limit most days.... :mrgreen:

I am sure that's why the springs are sagged on the Rats Nest with my 275 pounds.
I am running 36 and 42 in mine atm. The ride would be softer if I lowered the pressures but with the dreaded driveways rocks I am not taking any chances on rim damage. Loosing the chunk out of your tire I would have expected lower pressure and or older tire.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129559#p129559:eyal0v94 said:
dan filipi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 pm[/url]":eyal0v94]
That tire is pretty close to done anyhow.

Yeah...it was getting there, but I was hoping it would last the rest of the season. :beg:
I'm sure I dint run over anything, and I had just checked the thing earlier all the way around for cracks or other damage. Oh well....at least I kept track of the actual mileage on this one. Still....just put this one on in April. I don't know how some of youse guys are getting 10-12,000 miles outta rear tires. And it still perplexes me that the original Dunlop lasted a full two seasons, and still had over 1/2 the tread left on it. :headscratch:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129568#p129568:20wowyl0 said:
AApple » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 am[/url]":20wowyl0]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129559#p129559:20wowyl0 said:
dan filipi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 pm[/url]":20wowyl0]
That tire is pretty close to done anyhow.

Yeah...it was getting there, but I was hoping it would last the rest of the season. :beg:
I'm sure I dint run over anything, and I had just checked the thing earlier all the way around for cracks or other damage. Oh well....at least I kept track of the actual mileage on this one. Still....just put this one on in April. I don't know how some of youse guys are getting 10-12,000 miles outta rear tires. And it still perplexes me that the original Dunlop lasted a full two seasons, and still had over 1/2 the tread left on it. :headscratch:
Joel, you still have not admitted that you actually go off-roading with your bike! :wave:

If I get less than 15,000 miles I feel ripped off!

Latest posts