Rear tire...AGAIN...the continuing saga...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The E3s on Crystal were near new when I bought her. I've put 6K on them since and I see no signs of any wear. The way the rear wears on the 1100 makes me wonder if the engineers just got it wrong. :headscratch:

~O~

mcgovern61":2r1k4tkk said:
Joel, you still have not admitted that you actually go off-roading with your bike! :wave:

Well...I guess that 40' from the street into the geeraj could count as "off-road", eh? :hihihi:
In the end, I believe it's just the road surfaces around here that causes the extreme wear on my stuff. There are some spots that will almost tump me over if I go too slow over the area, and some places where the expansion strips are 3"-4" wide, and parallel to the direction of traffic. I do my best to steer clear of those things, but sometimes I just can't....unless I just WANT to let the a-hole next to me kill me. :nea:

Nice deal on the mudflap, V....hmmmm..... :whistling:

:head bang:
Front tire is here....rear tire won't be here til tomorry. Front came from Memphis Tenn, rear came from Ft. Wayne Indiana...then went to OHIO, now on it's merry widdle way to Texas. Why the heck dint someone remind me to go ahead and order braking pads while I wuz at it? :Doh2:
:hihihi:
Depending on what Mama decides I'm gunna do this weekend, I may have them both mounted, and riding again by Tuesday.... :yahoo: :moped:

Just fer spits and grins, I checked the weight specs of the bike:
Curb weight(wet) is 732#. Add in my 230# fat butt, and that's 953#. Then add in what crap I carry, I figure maybe another 20-25#, and we're up to 978#. Thass pushing a half ton.....then if I add Mama into the mix, well..... :blush: it puts me a little over 1000# on the tires.....
That's pretty wild.... :ahem: To be fair, tho, Mama doesn't spend much time on it, so that's not really a factor, in the end. Heck, my lunch box prolly weighs 10 pounds....and it's a soft, collapsible cooler.... :smilie_happy:

Wow! The curb weight on my '82 Standard started at 646 lbs. That is a full 86 lbs less before adding bags, windshield (or faring) and any other accessories.

image.php

I know that when I weighed my stuff for the high speed wobble issue, I found out that a 1982 rider weighs about 65 lbs less than a 2014 rider..... :hihihi: (Guess we bring as much "Cargo" to the load on the bike as we put on the bike!) :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Hey Joel you check with two wheel world in Garland for the pads. I got mine there once or twice. It's now over by the ol' Hardley d location near the hypermart location on Garland rd..

I been getting pads at Bate's. Get my oil & air filters there too. They always have that stuff in stock, and priced as well as anyone else. Heck, they even had exhaust gaskets in stock. :good:

New front tire has a 2014 date code on it...that's good news! :yes:

New Shinko Tourmaster is now installed on the rear. :heat: :clapping:
Front will wait until tomorrow, or next weekend.
Here's a closeup of the missing chunk of the Dunlop....

Here's a pic of the results of a boo-boo. I used my vacuum pump to pop the tire beads off the rim, but....I screwed up and dint shut the vacuum off properly, and the dang tire sucked up some of the pump oil back into the tire.... :Doh2: I'll be having to buy some new Dynabeads Tuesday...

I got a new farkle from Ebay, too.... :good:

I'll be installing it when I do the front tire. I had a Goldwing emblem that I put on it instead of the missing Drag Specialties emblem...

I'm tired, and it be suppertime.... :mrgreen:

:lust: I like that road duster!

:shock: Wow that was a big chunk! Send the pic to Dunlop. See if they offer anything.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129869#p129869:3tfidg71 said:
slabghost » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:33 pm[/url]":3tfidg71]
:lust: I like that road duster!

Well...yer the one that turned me on to it.... :hihihi: :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129586#p129586:3tfidg71 said:
slabghost » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:18 am[/url]":3tfidg71]
Good deal on a mudflap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/81-Honda-GL1100 ... 30&vxp=mtr

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129896#p129896:25lgzpj9 said:
dan filipi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:28 pm[/url]":25lgzpj9]
I'd send a pic to Dunlop also.
Who knows, they could have had a bad run and will exchange it.
Doesn't hurt to try.
AGREED! (Just don't tell them your name Joel.....I think all of the tire manufacturers have your name already!) :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129966#p129966:1gr3soxk said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:18 am[/url]":1gr3soxk]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129896#p129896:1gr3soxk said:
dan filipi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:28 pm[/url]":1gr3soxk]
I'd send a pic to Dunlop also.
Who knows, they could have had a bad run and will exchange it.
Doesn't hurt to try.
AGREED! (Just don't tell them your name Joel.....I think all of the tire manufacturers have your name already!) :smilie_happy:
Right there, proof is not just me Joel! :hihihi:

Awwww...you guys SUCK!!!! :rant:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Anywho...front tire is mounted, and mudflapper bolted on. Problem with the flap.....dang tire was rubbin on it. :rant: Had to wedge a screwdriver handle between the tire & fender, and loosen/tighten the fender bolts on the forks. Now it has aboot 3/8" clearance. Should be enough. :whistling:

Only a couple of pics today.
Tire "machine" I've had for years...got it at Northern tools, so I could swap tires on my Corvettes myself, instead of trustin the Gomers at the tire stores...
It won't mount/dis-mount the bike tires, but it will bust the beads loose pronto....no muss-no fuss.

And, the mud flap mounted....need to find my two-sided sticky tape(it's around here sommers.... :headscratch:) to put the GWing emblem on it....

Looks good. Might want to use emblem adhesive but however you hold it on. Be sure you clean and scuff and clean again so the emblem stays. Don't want to run that over.

Yeah....I can see it now....sitting on the side of the freeway....flat tire, with a GW emblem stuck in it.... :rant:
:smilie_happy:

The ride in this am was uneventful, except for the usual lunatics trying to kill me. New Shinkos ride pretty well, so I'm happy with that. I do have ONE teeny widdle issue. The freekin mudflap apparently is blocking some air into the radytater, or it seems that it is. Temp got a little higher than "normal" at lower speeds. Not stop/go, but prolly 25-30mph. Don't know if it's just a co-inky-dink or not....we'll see how it does on the ride home this evenin.
I will say this...these Shinkos were the EASIEST tires to mount I've ever done...and I've done a few. Slid right on the rims quite nicely with no lube of any kind. Those danged Bridgestones were the hardest, both on and off.

As far as contacting Dunlop on the chunky tire...ida know....maybe, maybe not. I figure I got my money out of it, and it has lasted the longest of any I've put on so far, so I think I might just leave well enough alone. I've already apparently angered the tire gods.....no sense pokin them in the butt with a stick too.... :smilie_happy:

Latest posts