Some assembly required !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173242#p173242:3hz59u0o said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 7:39 pm[/url]":3hz59u0o]
I did. Joe's done a LOT of work on his (and many other) motorcycle(s). No question.

But, my comments stand.

And nice work on the CBX rack. Sychronizing them will be the final installment. I've struggled with my Carbtune on the Valkyrie. 4 columns and 6 cylinders. A dance.
Nice Max!! ok confession time On my way to Rice O Rama 2 years ago, few of us stop at a rest stop, there was a other group there also, well i waited for them to leave and followed the Vmax out .And HERE WE GO lol,,W/O NOS and just removed my Car Tire the week before and went back to a 180 stock tire ..I did a 2 Block Tire smoker and watched him pull me by 2 bikes , by the time i hooked up in 3rd forget it we were in triple digits , Dam it !! Went home Tossed that dam 180 in the trash and put a 200 Metz on and a 50 shot of Nitrous LMFAO . But that Max was at the event he had lots of work done to it was bad ass !, It's good to be humble , But ! hope to take out my frustration on the next MAX !! hahahaha

Sorry this thread has gone off into the weeds, but I think we have fstsix's blessing:

Lol. So, you guys are the real deal. Joe, you just rocketed up the totem pole in my respect book. Thanks for taking my jabs as they are intended - half fun (but 100% serious). You took the high road, buddy. Kudos!

Here's my take. Again, from the perspective of having ridden and wrenched a wide variety of bikes for decades. Joe has experimented with a bunch (A BUNCH) of induction setups. Many pictures and narrative tell the tale. Currently, running single carb (tell me not the PIC38, I missed which one). I believe you're on, like, your third manifold or so. There's mix of early heads and cams on a 1200 bottom end. (Correct me if I'm wrong). You determined that a stock pipe flowed the best, I think. C5 ignition - which just optimizes what's built into the engine. There's a lot of stuff on this site on Hooch's build up and it's hard to determine exactly what's going on.

OK. Normally aspirated. And other than ignition and the carburetor, nothing on there Mother Honda didn't hang off a Goldwing at one time or another. (I didn't see anything about upgraded cams or milling heads - ain't much extra meat there to shave anyway). The case hasn't been cracked, so compression (pistons) are stock. Crank is stock. Tranny is stock.

I have absolutely no doubt that the tune is sharp as a razor.

So, my guess is that the machine will run the quarter in, say, 12.5 seconds at MAYBE 110MPH. Maybe 85 HP/ 85TQ the wheel. Am I close?

Respectable? Heck yeah! I never denied that. But, I have a fist full of timeslips showing low 11's on Mr. Max. Lots of guys are deep into the 10's with them. I would bet that fstsix's blown 750 pound Fat Girl could get well into the 11's with a NOX squirt. Z14's Busas, F1s are under 10 seconds!!

A wing can be made to run comfortably with most bikes on the road. But, to throw down the gauntlet to them is doing a disservice to a web site that should provide accurate information to folks dialing in looking for accuracy. We should provide a realistic set of expectations without exaggeration. Pulling the front wheel in 3rd gear at 70MPH???!!?? (Not Joe's claim).

After blabbing all that, I'd sure like to see ole Hooch in action. No lie. My poor ole '78 would just be putting along enjoying the show.

ok ...lets set the record strait .....i am a smart hands type of guy....also very low funded....it was me who said hooch pull the wheel in third gear and i'm assuming about at 75mph.....it only happen once..in certain condition of outside air hooch really runs ....seems air condition by mother nature at times is huge in hooches ability to run at its peak.....hard for me to say how much so but very noticeable when its there...hooch can pull the wheel in second gear quite easy.....i don't have time slips and all that as that out of my funding range....also i personally have not much experience at running strip.....the bike is way above the rider...me.....

What I have said is hooch will never look bad running against another bike.......i'm not saying it will beat anything out there....i can say the 1200 set up is rather maxed out in drive line ...clutch is at the limit of what it can do.....my biggest problem with hooch is gas feed....it is also well dialed in ..that it can drain the carb...and its a car carb.....truth is the small oldwing motor flow huge over car motors at rpm twice car motors ability....jetting is huge compared to car set ups and jets......the test is you are at idle....took a long time to mod this into the carb.....the weber 32-34 is not even close to stock anymore.....huge mods made to its operation.......but as it is now...its dial in great...the two stage carb or progressive linkage two barrel is prrgect set up to get the most out of a wide spread rpm motor like and oldwing is capable of ....the spot on evenest og the one deal also promotes the burst in power out put......the bigger flow hards and early 75-77 cams ate the best ...i've tried them all.....the c5 ignition brings no bs timing...triple spark...super accurate advance....also programmable ...with four setting i van use all more aggressive than stock honda..all this and only one moving part to entire set up.....

so it doesn't have nitrus ..after market csms..it dose have the basics covered at a high level....in first gear the bike is a weapon ..and you best be ready as it is.....it sure needs work in this area ....just tight at 100mph the front get light and the death wobble is in play.....i seem to not be able to get though third gear under power safely .....me and the frame are the weakest link in the hooch bike......

i never expected thr bikr to surpass all my expectations like it has......that about the best i can describe at this time

Having nearly the same setup as Joe's I'll agree it's going to surprise a lot. The one thing that he might have is the ability of the second barrel able to be whacked open and dumping in a pretty good mix. The cv carbs have to do it is vacuum which is likely smoother but slower. At the right rpm, it should have pretty significant "boost." The 70mph front end lift could happen if that's the rpm where his second barrel and hi torque are "orgasmic." :)

Mine is a month from being back on the road at least, but I'll be close to 0.040" shaved. Different motor and no idea on its condition. Compression was better than the old one I bent a rod in.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173258#p173258:1c3gh5ed said:
slabghost » Today, 7:48 am[/url]":1c3gh5ed]
Brian has seen and run with Hooch and expressed his take.
The reality is there will be some doubt until some head to head comparison runs are done.

Good thread ! Hijacking Go for it LOL ..Well ? the Valk stock is 12.72 1/4 mile....11 seconds should be real easy, Now not to talk trash..not much for bragging,,( i all ready admitted defeat ? ) The V-Max i ran WAS NOT stock by No means. Headers, Chipped racing lightwieght wheels, Very well financed ! Just like Joe i understand the fun of gentlemen romp of the throttle and no big deal if ya get passed, But we all would admit most riders are afraid of their bike ..As Bad to the Bone it is ! And would loose many race's just because there was a Lot More Throttle to be Twistee haahaha..Anyway , Owner Magnacharger Bill Bushing has a 10 second Blown Valk, and Lamont aka Lamonster has seen high 9's on His Nitrous Blown Valk, Yellow Motor 210 hp ,,This CBX was a 11.33 1/4 mile factory bike,The 10 second range 37 years ago was a big deal, And is still in one peace ! amazing find, So if all else fails it is nice to have a Russ Collins equipped Real Deal Vintage Drag bike, that has lots of history and lots of witnessed 10 second runs by the locals up here . Here she is when Rescued ..just dig the State art Fork brace ! Kosman , Single disk. (Installed the right side back on for Pro Street) Tach only, Aluminum Sprockets (No Rubber dampers in hub) Ported Heads RC big bore 1250 cc blah blah .. Picture time hahaha.. :BigGrin:

The smile on my dial is huge even after only a few miles on my new Valkyrie. Up the DD in the daylight produced a couple of quick sideway steps ( tires need replacing) when I was too slow on the rear brake. I then took it out to show it to my mates on Friday night drinks and then ran the DD in the dark, not as smooth as during the day ( with out any alcohol ) but we made it up in one piece. :good: :salute: :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173290#p173290:2hpdneho said:
Ansimp » May 13th, 2016, 2:23 am[/url]":2hpdneho]
The smile on my dial is huge even after only a few miles on my new Valkyrie. Up the DD in the daylight produced a couple of quick sideway steps ( tires need replacing) when I was too slow on the rear brake. I then took it out to show it to my mates on Friday night drinks and then ran the DD in the dark, not as smooth as during the day ( with out any alcohol ) but we made it up in one piece. :good: :salute: :moped:
Your Drive way sounds like a challenge ? :shock:

Glad i have my GL and CB 750 to ride.. this should be done for Rice O Rama show in Sep,, last trip to show the GL took First place..been a couple years to piece all the stock parts back on for street legal,,, frame off all Powder coated wheels and frame .Now the tin is at the paint shop and needed a new Kosman rear aluminum sprocket with new chain Bronze bushings double bearing rear axle ect, Russ Collins Go fast parts for those that remember RC performance engineering. Can't wait to Blast down the road. Thing feels so light compared to the GL

Thanks Dan .. lots of elbow grease and a little OCD lol should of had the rear sprocket on already ? stock is 35 tooth ,,It has a 40 tooth...never road this bike only heard it run when purchased...may pull like a tractor :BigGrin: with the gearing,,gonna keep it that way..just gonna stay on the back roads with the gearing . The GL is my Touring bike anyway

Latest posts