Thinking solo seat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cowl can be made for it. Out of fiberglass or carbon fiber or metal if you like. If it is hollow it does provide a little convenient storage space. The rear of my 78 KZ 750 twin is hollow with the tail light built into it.

OK I decided to launch into it. Took the staples out of the rear part of seat and pulled the cover back. Cut the foam off behind the wide part of the "backrest" thing exposing the seat pan. A carpenter's hand saw works very will for cutting the foam. BTW the pan seams to be in good shape.
I put the seat back on the bike to see how it looked at the back. The pan is actually quite narrow at the back end...not much wider than the fender.
My plan is to mount the tail light on the back of the seat low. Then make a cowl that will match the curve of the seat just behind the "backrest" at the front and mount the tail light into the back of hump at the back and have the cowl wrap around it at the back. I might try polystyrene plastic and heat it to wrap around a form that I will build.

In the mean time, I have to keep the GW roadworthy so I pull the cover back to cover the pan so I can still ride. In the end I will cut the cover off.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=128544#p128544:2xqk0v2l said:
slabghost » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 am[/url]":2xqk0v2l]
Are you planning to hinge the cowl to the seat pan to use the space for storage?
I was thinking of a lid sort of like the lid on our shelter. Would have to be able to seal it from rain...not really sure at this point. :headscratch: Or maybe Dzus fasteners so the whole cowl could be taken off easily...that would probably be the easiest to build.

Brian

yes a pan like with sides and a cowl that lap over over sides would ensure great weather proof and the no visabil sign of cowl coming off .. would be the set up in looks and also great place to put something

Prolly won't get the tail light till end of next week so I thought I would define the setup at the front ( back of back rest). So I pulled the cover back so I could trim the foam back to just after the backrest and then use that piece of foam to trace onto a piece of 2x 8 and cut it out with the jig saw. Trimmed it so it fit the seat pan closely and used wood screws with washers to attach it to pan. So this is the shape that the cowl will fit over at the front. :builder:

No turning back now, I cut the cover off at my wooden "bulkhead".

Also I have decided to attach the tail light to the bike frame rather than the seat and have the seat and cowl fit over it. I just don't want to have to unplug the wiring every time I take the seat off. Also the seat pan is pretty flexy at the back so wouldn't support tail light.

Well Joe, I was having trouble wrapping my mind around where to start. :headscratch: All there was was seat foam and curvy plastic seat pan...nothing solid. So I did this and now I have a clearer idea of what I'm doing. :rocks:

So now I am working on making a fender extension out to where the tail light and the license plate goes. The license plate has to be far enough back and angled out at the bottom so tire doesn't hit it. Then tail light has to go right above because it has to light up the plate.

Using card board...

Nice work! Been thinking about what might be do able to my seat,on the latest addition to the stable.Need a FIRM seat like my other's,which are Corbin's,which are now TOO pricey.Few years ago seat was $300,now $635 + back rest which went up $50,not too bad,but no longer able to work,put's many things now beyond easy reach,as well as the price jump.Can alway's swap a seat from another,so can't complain! Only ride one at a time any way.But something like this with harder foam & back rest would be a nice HOOLIGAN upgrade on the other, new to me, 84 standard.

I'm in the same boat as you: retired for about a year now and no room in budget for $300 this or $500 that. Even having this bike is a bit of a luxury but gotta have something to do during 6 to 7 month winters. :builder:

All I've spent so far is $25 for the tail light. Will still need to get turn signals and materials to build the cowl. You know if I wanted to save some money I could take the OEM turn signals off the tail light and mount them on the sides, below the cowl...thinking... :headscratch:

BTW, the foam in my seat is just the foam that came with it. Would be very easy to put in back rest at this point too.

Brian

yes ..i like project that move from previous move makes things fun and you never know what it might all lead too .... great stuff ... and yes i fit the words above bigtime on funds LOL

So here is what I have been up to on the solo seat thing.

Still waiting for the tail light but figured I need to make the new rear fender to mount the light and the license plate to. So I put the OE fender on and marked where I would like to shorten it to. Then I made a fiberglass mold by laying fiberglass on the OE fender. I formed a ridge along the new edge to copy the raised part along the edge of the OE fender. The inside of this form is the shape of my new fender. Working on smoothing out imperfections on the inside of the mold.

Brian

Laying is out
Raised edge with cardboard
Laying fiberglass onto fender
Edges trimmed
Mounted in a cardboard box to work on

Great work :good: Will we soon be able to order Canuckxxxx shortie rear fenders?

Latest posts