• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - Rear Master Cylinder, 83 GL1100A

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobarama

Reaction score
Wanted - Rear Master Cylinder, 83 GL1100A. My original has a crack in it. Please PM me if you have one. Thanks!

Attachments

• GL1100 006.jpg
    GL1100 006.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 190
  • GL1100 008.jpg
    GL1100 008.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 187
Stripped down you could try to repair the crack. There is a type of rod that will solder aluminum. A propane torch will provide sufficient heat. If the crack does not reach the seat it may not be an issue at all. The line flange seals to the seat only.

The 83 rear masters are hard to find.
They are slightly larger capacity than the earlier ones because of the linked brakes.
We have a few parts guys on the forum, maybe they'll see this post and have one available.

We really need to come up with a simple bolt on replacement from a model that's readily available since this one is getting harder to find.

slabghost":2385wfq2 said:
Stripped down you could try to repair the crack. There is a type of rod that will solder aluminum. A propane torch will provide sufficient heat. If the crack does not reach the seat it may not be an issue at all. The line flange seals to the seat only.

The crack is just above where the rubber boot arraches. i can only assume that it reaches the finished bore because it leaks like a sieve under pressure. Thanks for the aluminum "solder" repair idea, I had not thought of that and may try it. Still, I would prefer a replacement unit. Thinking of unlinking the brake system if I have to.

Steve83":1eduej60 said:
Make sure you get the proper front calipers - they both use different piston sizes on the '83 since only one is used with the front master cylinder.

I was going to try to run the stock calipers. Has real world experiance shown that to be a bad choice?
There isn't "that" much difference between the two and I'm going to use an 81 master cylinder which was designed for 2 front calipers. Feedback appreciated.....

Check out this site as it may help you in your unlinking
https://www.nathanielsalzman.com/motorcy ... ls-brakes/
On the CBRs the linked braking circuit has small and large pistons with feedback between front and rear brakes and the calipers are totally different to the normal braked calipers (unlinked)
Look forward to hearing of your endeavours as I don't like linked brakes as it makes it too hard for me to ride up my driveway ( I trail the back brake as a poor mans traction control)

You might want to consider getting an adapter for brake line fitting and fix the master. Could clean the area real good with start spray. Apply a liberal amount of jb weld to the threads and screw in the adapter. That should fix the leak and allow use. I've no experience yet on the 83 brakes so I've no recommendations for de linking.

well i can say ...i never thought much of linked brakes till i got an 83 1100 ......well they sure work well in gravel and theres a lot of gravel roads....i certainly wouldnt change mine

83's are a year of their own when working with the brake system. I was going to un-link the system as well, but the diffrent sized front calipers threw up a road block. 82 calipers won't fit because of the anti-dive front end on the 83's. I have an ebtire 82 front end I might used if mine give me trouble in the future. I'm just not sure if the wheels and disks are interchangable.

joedrum":a7zsefib said:
they are with tweaking

I think, if I were to make the change, I would use the entire 82 front end from the down tubes to the sliders, the 82 front calipers & disks, brake lines, line splitter and front master cylinder. The rear would be 82 stuff as well.
The front wheel would be an 83 cast wheel modified to fit the 82 sliders.
Presently my 83 set up is working properly with no problems. My original issue was with the rear proportioning valve, another "unavailable" 83 only part with no rebuild kit available that I know of (found a used one in CT).
Fortunately, I bought an 82 parts bike with 7800 miles on it a few years back that was in excellent condition with bad title problems. I dismanteled the bike and saved everything. I'm presently building an 82 Standard that I will use a few parts on but the bulk are stored to be used as needed.
Parts bikes are pretty much worth their weight in gold, well maybe silver.