What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here I am now one of the crew SCGW..! :read: follow up in 77 build i will post the information or unless you think the information needs to be somewhere else let me know cause I have some not alot but some

Attachments

• 20160221_112311.jpg
    20160221_112311.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 153
Very nice! I can't see more than just the carb. What style manifold are you using. I take it you are following dkl's posts.

It was finally nice weather here in the PNW today so it was ride time! First hurdle, battery not strong enough to start motor so on the charger it goes, 20 minutes later she's starting but doesn't want to run very well. I finally get her out on the road and she's letting me know she's not happy with her hibernation and doesn't want to run right under 4,000 rpm. About 45 miles and a bunch of sweet talking later she perks up and runs right for the last 10 miles of the ride. I'm off again tomorrow so perhaps she will behave for me then, still, I'm loving this old 1000!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I continued to strip and repair my trunk. I didn't realize how many cracked areas there were on the base. And to think the rides I took with my DSLR riding in that trunk. Its been interesting researching the best way to repair abs plastic parts. I have decided to use a solvent weld method instead of heat method. I ran some tests and acetone seems to be my solvent of choice.

While handling the base, I became concerned that the cracks in all 4 corners along the top edge were getting worse as I handled it. Setting the base upside down on the work bench I noticed the there was a U shaped feature running around the edge. And it seemed to me that a metal reinforcement is what the part needed, even back when it was still pencil lines on the engineers drawing early in the 70's. So I went to my closet and found several cloths hangers. After cutting the wire cloths hangers straightening them I formed the wire to match inside that U shaped feature. I then took my acetone and filled the U softening the plastic, then drove the wire down in to the U all around the trunk. Now the plastic base is stabilized with the wire reinforcement.

More to follow...

Got a few more strips of insulation up in the garage rafters, six this time, 3/4 of them up now. :roll: Sure be glad when they're all up, can put things back where they belong, & can get to the patient on the operating table. :good: Got my car back inside, & it snowed overnight, :hihihi: may need to clear the driveway, hopefully not enough to bother with from what it looks like in the dark. :nea: The window on my car needs a new regulator to roll it up & down, :sensored: they are going to deliver it this morning, or early afternoon, nice to have a shop for them to deliver to, :yes: so much for insulation for now. :whistling:

What did I do with my Wing today?
Funny you should ask!

I spent a good part of today in the shop working on the Wing.
I have most of the back end torn apart. I changed the oil in
the final drive and cleaned up a lot of areas that I couldn't
reach with the bike in one piece. It's amazing how dirty it
got under there in only one season of riding.
The new tires and tubes arrived this afternoon.
Tomorrow morning I'll mount the new rear tire, grease
all the splines on the axle and drive shaft, and then
begin reassembling everything.

After that I'll attack the front end. The new tire up
front will be easier since there is less to take apart.
Then I'll change the engine oil and install the dipstick
kit that I've had sitting here since last year. It will be
nice to be able to check the oil without laying down
on the ground to look at that damned sight glass.
What in the hell was Honda thinking??

And if I get all of THAT done, Sunday I can work on
installing the new set of LED driving lights that I've
had sitting here for a few months!

Gotta get it ready for next week! The weatherman is
predicting temps near 70 degrees for Tuesday and Wednesday!!
Yeeeha! Spring is coming!!

ATTACH]

Took both hosses out for some exercise today, it was beautiful out.
Ole blue really surprised me as I don't usually flog the old girls. I was feeling froggy and downshifted to 4th and nailed her looked down and the speedo was indicating just under 110 mph so I let off shifted to 5th and then rode civilized. Who knew? :shock:

Latest posts