Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":2sb4y6fx said:
the natural tendency of the wings carbs is to go rich in my opinion.....i think daves statement pretains to racing conditions mostly or motors in that range of tuning.....
:good: Correct Joe

but, a Wing (or any engine) can really only go lean if you mess with carb settings and or jets, if you mess with the ignition timing or if you mess with the fuel. I think most older, big miles motors tend to go rich as result of wear in the carbies and failing of the ignition

Easiest thing with rich v lean Gerry - petrol is a liquid and just like tossing water on a campfire, the more you pump into your motor the more heat it will take out, this is not the scientific way it happens but it is the way it works. So if you dont toss enough petrol in your gunna be burning lots of oxygen. Oxygen burns really hot because its a gas. Again not correct if your into science but fact is every time your engine breaths in you have a blend of fuel and air (liquid and gas) and the liquid cools and the gas just burns without cooling stuff down first. Of course if you cool things down to much your fuel (liquid) wont fully evaporate to a vapor (gas) and wont fully burn, this is called 'very rich' :read: bet I just made it more confusing :idea: for you Gerry. Heres a easy (AND DANGEROUS) thing you can try OUTSIDE. get a siringe filled with petrol and 'squirt' it thru a flame, note how it becomes a stream or ribbon of flame. This is 'rich' Now pull down your pants and 'pass wind' thru a flame and see just how much more aggressively gas burns. This is 'lean':smilie_happy: unless you had the curry in which case it could be ................... I'm gunna stop now

:smilie_happy: :fiddle: :Doh2: :whistling: :doh: :headscratch: :swoon: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: i think thats the way the scientists figure it out there not very bright people but have a lot of paper work to make up for it... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: thats good dave :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Ya just can't get more scientific than that, Dave!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I just rebuilt the carbs on the 82 and the jets had 3 numbers on the top of them . i forget what they where but im thinking of moving up one size as thats why i think its not running right

to me it runs real good twist the wrist and hold on and see if you can change gear fast enough . Way faster than my 83 . But its funny when i start it the left-side seems a lot louder out of the pipe and gets hot real fast while the right side doesn't seem as loud its like its not firing but it is as my 83 warms up the same way . Maybe im thinking the problem is on the wrong side and i should be looking at the left side .Ive had the carbs out about 4 times everything is clean and the floats are at the right height . Maybe the left-side is to rich and getting to hot as the right-side i can touch . Or is it to lean cant remember which one makes it hotter . And another thing ive noticed is the carb intakes to the head are ice cold on the left-side but not on the right. Maybe i just need to run it a while to see if it sorts its self out as it wasnt run for about a year as it sat outside the bike shop .But one thing is it scares the poop out of me while putting a big smile on my face . Been asked by 4 people if i want to sell it hell no way .

Attachments

• newwing 008.jpg
    newwing 008.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 85
nice bike britman.......sweet ...i posted my comments on your questions about your bike in oldhacks 1100 rebuild ....gee no wonder people are after you to sale your bike... :good: :eek:k: :rocks: :ahem: :mrgreen:man those interstate false tanks look good when not covered up by the fairing :mrgreen:

joedrum":1aoqbhnu said:
ok the only science i used on the mix ratio was finding small containers that would stand up in my glove box on trips.....you know how hard it is after a few tankfulls of gas tying to do something like measure when all you want to do is rub your eyes and not look at anything ......

i think our bikes are all different and depending on those differences the ratio of mix sould be adjusted ......

on my bike this ratio is no problem but mines a 1000 i run without a thermostat and have for yrs and yrs ...the hotter plugs is just hotter of the two mention in the manual the timing been avanced just a bit and i run open pipes and i mean 4inch open pipes......ive got well over 50 thousand miles running like this with aft......

when i get my 82 1100 i will be able to see for myself ....but right now you guys have more knowledge than me on 1100s ..... it may be
that you need to cut down

if 8oz seems to much for your bike right now back off .....i am confident in the fact that this is good for your bike longiivity and finding the ratio that works in your bike without being to much is a possitive for your ride......

i certainly wasnt crunching numbers when i came up with my little 8oz containers .....they fit in my glovebox i had no trunk and bags at the time and it was easy to deal with at the gas station and i could go athousand miles without having to refill them....the science of lazyness :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

So what I 'm not trying to think :head bang: .......is that if you had your hard bags or trunk......we would be talking about a 2 liter soda bottle of atf :Awe: ...JUST KIDDING..just back and allready enjoying the threads.BTW glad to see you around Joe.So 82 around the corner :rocks:

dan filipi":2nm4hbn3 said:
Yesterday I notice mine smoking, only from the left exhaust.
The smell was definately burning atf, it smelled like spilled atf on an exhaust header.

It cleared up after a few minutes but I wonder why smoking only from the left exhaust, an over rich carb maybe?

This got me to thinking, will atf settle to the bottom of the tank and float bowls after a time?

Hi Dan,all of the 2 strokers bikes that dId not have autolube system in earlier times where shaken from side to side preferably with rider on top of bike feet touching ground as to shake the mixture in the tank.each new day before startup.Autolube pumps with it's own oil reserve hidden behind a side cover were a blessing in later years.but allways the DIY mix bikes were shaked(would be great workout on a wing)If I could only remember were I left my fonda vhs work out video :headscratch:

joedrum":j3chs4xd said:
well id say that alittle of both things you are mentioning is right .....it probably will settle some ....and it proably leaking carb to some degree ....its like the stuff they put back in the gas to make it work evaporates out thats not a complete mix either .....atf is a great tell all it lets you know whats going on .....i mean it wasnt missing was it .....a good thing to do is look at the plugs and see if you think there not looking right or looking fine ....

id say if your bke been sitting a few days without running do alittle handlebar mixing :smilie_happy:

~O~you can hear anything just like the atf thing from me ....some stuff good some stuff BS.... :mrgreen:

If the plugs don't get fouled i wouldnt worry much about them.If fouled hotter plug or less oil..The MIX in !!the right amount!! i guess that it would lube cylinder componets and thus feeling of smoothness in riding (felt)on the bike.Mix from the same tank donor left in a jar overnight would answer the separation and floating or not of the mixture.carb soft componets orings ect inmerse in an atf jar as long as the mixture is being used on the bike would test if any soft parts being in contact with this mixture deteriorates them.In the long run (unlike 2 stroke bikes)the exhaust system would build soothy deposits.it would need to be cleaned .I see it from the 2 stroke engine view in mind IMHO. :nea: :headscratch: :yes:

BigAndrew":3ftmh6c0 said:
i just went through my 2nd tank with ATF, This time i only used 6oz since that was all what was left...
6oz doesnt seem like it was enough, With 8oz i got one to one and a half more mpg, With 6oz i didnt see any mpg improvment vs no atf, just a little low end torque

I just filled my tank up without any atf, Ill wait till i burn at least a gallon till i add some atf, Im thinking of trying 10oz this time

plugs will tell you whats up. :salute:

I was under the impression that the ATF was used to clean the system and not to improve fuel mileage while using it. :?:
I thought that we were to run a couple of tanks of ATF and gas mix and THEN go back to the straight gas for a MPG check. I'm confused..........again! :head bang:

there are not many downsides to atf mixed in the gas .....its great for the o rings and seals .....its made to cycle over and over in an automatic transmission to provide push and also not harm o rings and seals which there couldnt be any more in something .....

ive never had much problem with exhast buildup but some might in a restrictive exhast ....the mongruel exhast was about as open as it gets 4" starait pipes from end of header pipes back .....this exhast increased the power band on the 791000 after tuning the ignition to it and carb mods ....that when i put 1100 stock exhast on it ,it just killed the power id say a least 15 percent or more ,went back to the exhast i made .......

ive been mixing aft for yrs and i wouldnt go though this unless it was realy a benifit and no downside except for seperation and maybe shorter plug life ....but the motor got to be better for it and carbs for sure :mrgreen:

yeah CBH you will get better milage this whole thread started on bet that atf would bring better milage and it did :mrgreen:

I have found a few things out since I started this thread:

*My 35 MPG average was because of the driving mix with too many stops and starts going to work
*No ATF and on the highway, I get 41 MPG average (75 MPH average speed)
*ATF and the highway - 46 MPG average
*ATF and drive back and forth to work - 38 MPG

I pulled the K&N filter last year and went back to OEM and there really wasn't a noticable difference in MPG. The ATF sure does smooth out the engine though at all RPM!

The only other issue never really addressed here is I have Hondaline bags and a Vetter fairing on a standard bike. The Hondaline bags do protrude more than the Honda bags and the Vetter fairing weighs a bit more than the Honda fairing...all reasons my bike may get slightly lower MPG than many other Interstates and Asp's.

For kicks, I'd love to pull the bags and fairing and ride it as a standard again to check the MPG but I do not have front turn signals or a headlight bucket to take it on the road.