Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope the hack is off right now getting a roof.
I was acually weaving in and out of the yellow lines at about 40 when all of a sudden I started getting wacked in the side of the helmet. I didnt know what it was at first.

Tory":2pbbgrdt said:
...I thought I was being attacked by seagulls :smilie_happy:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
I don't care who ya are, that right there is FUNNY! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :good:

Tory":2j4ohqdb said:
joedrum":2j4ohqdb said:
id say if your bke been sitting a few days without running do alittle handlebar mixing :smilie_happy:

So I tried the hadnle bar shake tonight as I took of down the road.Scared the crap out of me when the antena smacked me in the helmet. :shock: I thought I was being atacked be seagulls :smilie_happy:

I have a 4 foot long CB "firestick" on mine. In strong winds whipping around that thing has wacked me in the helmet pretty hard! Funny now but at the time ya don't know WHAT'S happening :smilie_happy:

Hey friends, ATF sounds great. My dad used to tell me to use that in our cars and trucks too in the gas tank. I did use some Berryman B12 fuel cleaner this week to clean up the fuel system and every so often it hesitated until it worked out the crap in the carbs. But now it runs great! I will try the ATF next but I already get about 40 or more on the highway. Also opening up that air cleaner even with a K&N can only help! Keep up the great posts guys! Joe (Page,AZ)

well guys i never thought id see the day ......210 miles .....5gals gas.....52MPG.....i never thought id see that kind of milage in a wing.....this 1100 82 is some kind of wing ....iknew it was running sweet ......ialways though anybody who said they were geting 50mpg were full of BS ......now iguess im full of BS to :mrgreen:

im not sure about how accurate it is.......but everything and including tires are the right ones for it so all that accurate......im telling you dan this is a sweet running bike.....the mongruel gets 46 mpg the last time i checked ......i could tell the 1100 was running more effecently and smooth as silk .....

This ATF thing is just sick! Who'da thunk it? Joe I think I'll move to French Lick(god i love that name) just to be closer to you, I think I'm in love. :?

The more I use this stuff the more benefits I see, hear and feel....oh and found meh some little 8oz bottles just like Joe's.

...and i thought she was running sweet before. I'm off to delete my last post in the Seafoam thread cause it just isn't true anymore.

~O~

dan filipi":2bgpcmjx said:
Tory":2bgpcmjx said:
joedrum":2bgpcmjx said:
id say if your bke been sitting a few days without running do alittle handlebar mixing :smilie_happy:

So I tried the hadnle bar shake tonight as I took of down the road.Scared the crap out of me when the antena smacked me in the helmet. :shock: I thought I was being atacked be seagulls :smilie_happy:

I have a 4 foot long CB "firestick" on mine. In strong winds whipping around that thing has wacked me in the helmet pretty hard! Funny now but at the time ya don't know WHAT'S happening :smilie_happy:

Shoot, I have 2 firesticks on mine. Black. Couldn't stand just riding around with only one on there. Needed to balance the rear out a bit. One is connected to my stereo, the other has a cb antenna cable connected to it, but no cb...yet.

After only three tanks of atf, I decided to NOT put any atf in this last tank. I filled her up last night on the way home and parked her for the night. This morning I had to go downtown to talk to those friendly folks at the IRS, so I took the freeway(yay!). Great googily moogily, after a 10 minute run at highway speeds, I was back on surface roads and old girl sounded like crap, well not crap but that tick I thought was a header exhaust leak was back, and she was running warm for her...it was only 92 degrees and her fan came on(her fan doesn't even come on when it's 112 at stop lights). I was only in the IRS building 5 mins and when I started her for the ride to work the fan came on again like she was still hot...did I lose the waterpump on the freeway? Well, I shut her down and put the atf in the tank. Half way to work on city streets she cooled down and the tick was already gone. Ride home? Normal, 107 and the fan never came on once. It looks like it's atf in every tank from now on.

I think the fan thing was just an anomoly, but the benefits of atf are undeniable.

~O~

Sorry guys,I just didnt notice much of a differance.Except the smoke and smell of course.Didint like that
Didnt notice a millage increase through 4 tanks to speak of and the only complaint I ever had with runablity is the primary chain rattle at about 55-60.And that didnt change at all.

But my bike has always run perfectly smooth with out much room for improvement.Perhaps on a bike thats a little gummed up maybe.

Glad to be reminded of the old days. My last stepfather was a master mechanic in Az and I was his only helper. Years ago he introduced me to his secret to running old cars and with all the new fangled stuff on cars I forgot about it. He would tune up a car and then remove the air filter while car idled he would drip ATF down the carb at a steady pace. When the smoke started coming out of the exhaust he would increase drops till engine stalled from too much ATF and turn key off. He let it set overnight and open doors next morning and crank it. Do NOT stand behind the car when he did. He took it for test/clearing run and everyone thought we was driving on our last leg it would smoke for 100 miles. After it cleared the motor ran like a new one. I have always put a quart of ATF to 50 gallons of fuel in my big trucks but forgot why. It also cleans fuel pumps and injectors but is hard on catalytic converters. All 3 of my pickups are '99's so can not use ATF on them but SF works. All 6 of my bikes are carburetor inspired so ATF will work on them.

Well here is the verdict; took a 220 mile roundtrip today (to go get my sheepskin) and I averaged 45 miles per gallon with 8 oz ATF (Average highway speed 75 MPH), regular 87 octane gas and the K&N filter (which is coming out Sunday). That is a big difference from 35 average prior to this.

Now, I would like to ask and clarify, do you guys get 40-42 mpg average on the highway or does that include stop and go driving? When I do stop and go (everyday to and from work) with the ATF I am averaging 39 to 40 mpg. Without ATF it drops back to 35 to 38 MPG. So my question is, what is the average MPG in stop and go driving for you guys? (Stop and go defined as red light to red light never going over 35 to 40 MPH for more than 10 minutes and stopping again. Normal city driving.)

My average all around part city stop and go and part highway is about 38. That will drop to 35 with more stop and go than highway. I think the lowest I've ever seen was 32 and that was pretty much all traffic stop and go.

The best highway mpg I've ever gotten is with 8 OZ of atf at 44mpg.

I haven't been keeping very good track lately with doing carb sync and some experimentation, so much idling invalidates any checks. This coming weekend trip to San Diego will be a good test for highway mileage.

With the ATF, it is great to watch the trip meter go past 160+ miles before hitting the reserve! In the past, I could only get 138-140 and hit the reserve. This trip, I hit 169 miles and stopped to get gas because it was another 45 miles to a fuel stop. It only took 3.7 gallons to fill! (Plus 8oz of ATF) The ATF is added to the tank right before filling. Thats an average of 45.67 MPG.

That's really great mileage Gerry!

I found a few problems this morning when buttoning up the bike after doing the sync and stuff. I'll post in the dans sync thread what I found. Will be interesting to see what my mileage is now.

ive done some long trips without using atf and have checked milage and watch the milage go down the longer the trip is.....so make sure you got that base covered before the trip gerry....it surprised me how fast the milage went down in a thousand mile trip .......i thought that the gas would just go through there and no big deal but it went through there alot faster and cloged up a lot quicker was the reality..... :mrgreen:

Dave":26rl5mwy said:
start rich and stay rich, go lean and end broke, miles per gallon or miles per motor, it's your motor, you decide :salute:
Talk to me Dave!! I am not a carb guy and really don't fully understand lean versus rich. (Had this since the '70's! That is why I went diesel!)

its pretty hard to get a wing to run lean gerry ....the first place to look is at the plugs ......if there nice and tan it aint lean .....the plug chart has pictures of a to lean condition plug ......to plug is the first thing to go ....thats where the fire starts.....they kinda look like someone melted it with a torch .....

most of the milage were all getting now is just where it sould be ......the mongruel never been apart but i bet it looks like brand new .....this is one of the reasons i like runnig without the thermostat ....this broadens the tolerence level the motor can deal with in shere consistancy .....

the natural tendency of the wings carbs is to go rich in my opinion.....i think daves statement pretains to racing conditions mostly or motors in that range of tuning.....