Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it seems those with the hd's gotta ride em sometimes so they show up at runs and stuff.. otherwise my goldwing is in the parking lot, home drive, store lot, etc..

Winger 82":9000x3aj said:
:cool!: Didn't use either this time she was runnin great ,2 of us were on Wings the rest were HD's
Winger 82 :hi:

Nah its in youre head,my bike never seems smoother faster and quiter than when Ive been around H-Ds all day. :smilie_happy:
Im sure thats what youve expierianced :lol:

You guys might be on to something, if we all rode with a bunch of HD's all the time then we would not have to be working on them as much, wellllllll it's just a wishful thought
Winger 82 :hi:

Very interesting morning. My gas was real low and I was going to the gas station which is 2 blocks away. Ididn't want to carry the loose ATF with (no cap for the bottle) so I poured in 8oz right before leaving. I started the bike and within seconds, it started smoking and coughing real bad! The ATF pulled right into the carbs (didn't think the tank was that low!) Drove the car to the station and got 2 gallons of premium (normally use regular, but wanted a hotter gas to clear the carbs). Put in the two gallons and it took a few minutes before the ATF mixed an the carbs cleared (no mosquitos around here for a while!)

Took a 150 mile trip two up and the bike has never run smoother! 150 miles and still a 1/4 tank of gas left! When I get to the reserve I'll refill and check the actual MPG. But if my calcs are right, I have only used 3.7 gallons so far or approximately 40 MPG (up from 35 MPG!) Will keep you posted.

After my second tank with the ATF, I did see 4 extra miles before going to reserve, with the same riding habits. :clapping: That translates(roughly) to a 1mpg increase, by my 6th grade Texas ejukashun math. :mrgreen:

I only got 1.5 more mpg :fiddle: But im gonna continue to use it for the extra low end torque and the hope it will make the seals last longer in the carbs :yes:

hey gerry thats exactly the reason why i came up with those little 8oz bottles i put in my glove box :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: been there done that :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :heat: :heat: :heat: :mrgreen:

Yeh, it was dumb! :oops:

I am still riding on that tank of gas! I just remembered that not only have I added ATF, but I put the K&N air filter back in. Maybe between both it accounts for the increase in mileage? At the moment it looks like I will get about 180 miles on this tank. (including the reserve)

So....has anyone opened up one these engines after using ATF over an extended period? Joe? I'm almost completely sold, but I remember opening up engines that had Pennzoil most of their lives and there was an inch or two of yellow residue coating inside. I was told it's because Pennzoil is shit oil with an unacceptable sulfur content. What does your oil/inner workings look like after using ATF for a while?

~O~

ive never had my motor apart ~O~i dont think this is something to be concerned about .....ive mixed a lot of defferent kinds of oils in motors from my farming days and in that experience i never saw any problems except when recycleing crankcase oil in big deisils but this only involve changing fuel filters that would clog up from the old oil
i could always tell from the sound of the motor and change scew on filters

in farming i would mix deisil fuel with gas to get more power from gas tractors...they ran smoother and diffinutly lasted longer and never saw any problems from doing it at all .....gas tractors in my book were a huge step down from deisils and broke all the time from the stresses of full load work and the deisil mix extended there life ....to me there only asset was they were good when the temps were so low that deisils were a pain to start .....

I have to admit, old girlfriend is getting smoother and quieter by the mile. Today I had a puff of white smoke in the morning and the same when I left work, but they weren't the clouds described in this thread. I think I'll dump the half can of SF I have into the family cager. :cool:

~O~

Omega Man":1amcbpo6 said:
I have to admit, old girlfriend is getting smoother and quieter by the mile. Today I had a puff of white smoke in the morning and the same when I left work, but they weren't the clouds described in this thread.

~O~

Is this with the Seafoam or atf?

I finally ran down to the reserve, switched over and filled up again. 174 miles and 4.2 gallons to refill = 41.4 MPG! :yahoo:

Now I still have the question which item made the most difference:

1. Adding 8 oz ATF (before filling tank and coating everything! Call me smokey!) :smilie_happy:
Note - it did stop smoking as soon as real gas made it back into the carbs.

2. Re-installing the K&N air filter thus increasing the air flow to the intake.

3. Using premium gas (92 octane) because I put the ATF in before filling? I do not normally use premium, only regular.

So..... I am going to try three tankfuls and track the differences. I refilled with premium gas and I am keeping the K&N filter on, but hold off on ATF this tank. Next time will be with regular gas and no ATF, then regular with ATF. Any thoughts? I know there will be a residual amount of ATF in with this tank, but when I opened the cap, the tank was clean with no sign of red.

BTW, when I take my gas cap off, it always seems to whoosh out as it is opened after riding?

gerry the lesser of the factors you mention was the premium gas .....ive done this the strait gas reg or prem will do ok 1st tank or 2 but willsteadily go down to the way it was trust me .....between the air and aft its hard to put numbers to ......im not that smart and i dont care....but the air is good and the atf is good and together they make each other better i am smart enough to know that.....id just keep on keepen on with the program ......when things are going good i take no issue at all whats the point.....

joedrum":1a0fn6mi said:
but the air is good and the atf is good and together they make each other better i am smart enough to know that.....id just keep on keepen on with the program ......when things are going good i take no issue at all whats the point.....

I guess the point is, if the K&N filter made the difference, than I do not need to add ATF. If the ATF made the difference, Iwill keep using it. I will only be able to tell by not adding ATF and I will let you know how it turns out. 41 mpg up from 35 is a big deal to me! I just want to positively narrow down the reason so that I can keep getting this mileage!