Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eric thats the atf .....cars of the past ,when there modulator valve gose bad the vacume from the mortor would susk the atf in and put it in the motor and white smoke would come out like a miseeto truck from the sixties ....people would just freak out thinking that there car was trashed....just needed a new valve.....this is why i went to hotter plugs this will burn more cleanly....i wouldnt be worried at all .....especaly on start up its cold and its just showing you whats going on .....just keep riding your bike will be fine .......check the air intake filter and maybe make a new top for the air filter that exposes all around intake of air this will make the combustion cleaner to ....my bike acts like this when cold on a cool day ......if i had an 1100 i would open the air up and put in the hotter plug thats listed for your bike this will raise the efficency of the atf ....dont get scaired off by a little smoke when your bike is running fine.....over time your bike will be demanding the mix mine sure did .....i had one leaky carb that completly stop leaking and all kinds of running benifits ...more low end power ,real smooth and strong mid range and high end power with no let down that had to be watched as to not go to far in rpm ....

some of the comments about imagining things like lugging power and smoothness and quietness all happen to me to ....it made me laugh....its not imagination its real......

All good info Joe.

Before a long trip I get alittle paranoid myself and check every little thing, bolts, tires, fluid colors, plug condition, everything so I don't have to call Momma to rescue us.

I've had on more than one occasion some small white smoke on startup which burned off after a couple minutes but eventually progressed into a full on blown head gasket. I'm not saying that's what it is but I'd hate for you to write it off as burning the atf then be stranded.
I've never been stranded yet, knock on wood. I asked the questions I did because what needs to be known is WHEN the smoke started. If it started after the atf then I wouldn't be too concerned with alittle smoke or even running hotter plugs because long highway runs will keep them clean. 8 oz. to 5 gallons really is a small amount.

dan filipi":139ai8zk said:
All good info Joe.

Before a long trip I get alittle paranoid myself and check every little thing, bolts, tires, fluid colors, plug condition, everything so I don't have to call Momma to rescue us.

Tell me about it,I am planning a long trip next month,but havent gotten much sadle time yet this year(not to mention broke in the new seat yet).I couldnt be more nervous,while I have the bike apart I am checking everything I can imagine.

I have never needed the GOLD BOOK or the roadside assist. or towing coverage,or tire repair kit and tools I carry with me,but it nice to know there there.

The further I push,the less I worry.I used to worry about 300 mile daily trips,then I started taking 1000 mile weekends,now Im talking about a 4000 mile week.
Now a 300 mile sunday ride doesnt even faze me.1000 mile weekends where the norm last summer,if I can log this one in with out a hitch,Im ready for the "Long Way Round" tour. :yahoo:

Holy Moly!! I got a massive smoke cloud out of mine this AM when I started it! :shock: It lasted about 3 seconds out the pipes, but lingered in the area for a while!! :sensored: I only put in 6oz to a full tank...last week! This is the first time it's shown any signs of smokage, tho. Might have something to do with the ambient temps here this time of year. It was in the 90s yesterday, and the 'Wing runs a little hotter on the road when the temps get up like that. I may have to re-think this deal.... :read: :headscratch:

AApple":1sbaryuo said:
Holy Moly!! I got a massive smoke cloud out of mine this AM when I started it! :shock: It lasted about 3 seconds out the pipes, but lingered in the area for a while!! :sensored: I only put in 6oz to a full tank...last week! This is the first time it's shown any signs of smokage, tho. Might have something to do with the ambient temps here this time of year. It was in the 90s yesterday, and the 'Wing runs a little hotter on the road when the temps get up like that. I may have to re-think this deal.... :read: :headscratch:

Awe, just alittle mosquito control Gerry! :smilie_happy:

Gerry? :headscratch:
Yeeesh...the smoke musta made it all the way to Callyforny! :cool!:

:smilie_happy: :heat:

mcgovern61":gdrga47t said:
AApple":gdrga47t said:
Gerry? :headscratch:
Yeeesh...the smoke musta made it all the way to Callyforny! :cool!:

:smilie_happy: :heat:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Gerrry!

Gerry, Joel, Joe, it's all too confusing :head bang: :cheeky:

dan filipi":2as2evwe said:
Gerry, Joel, Joe, it's all too confusing :head bang: :cheeky:

:smilie_happy: Lol... The only peoples names i know are the people that have it in there CGW name and Eric cause its hard to forget his since he has the south park character Eric Cartman as his avatar, No kitty this is my pot pie....
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

OK smart guys...what "is" the smoke? Buildup of atf someplace? Crud from the valves? I'm still curious but not convinced. I've also been wondering if this the same principal as SF down the intake.

~O~

Trying to maximize my carbon footprint everyday.

Omega Man":4bsetyl9 said:
OK smart guys...what "is" the smoke? Buildup of atf someplace?

~O~

I think Joel (or was his name Gerry lol) has a leaking float which allowed fuel to build up in the combustion chamber or exhaust then when he started it it burned off.

That's entirely poskible. It has never done that before, so I can't say for sure if it has to do with the ATF, but I'm assuming at this point it does. Then again, I also noticed, once I got to werk, I could hear what sounds(to me) like a rocker arm ticking, which I've never heard before, either. That prolly has absolutely nothing to do with the ATF. I been wanting to check the valve clearance anyway... :builder:

well i said it will let you knw whats going on .....

i think dan is on the right track

there may be crud going though the system ....but this sould start going the other way when things realy start to clean up.....

smoking on a continuous bases could indicate weak spark.....maybe weak coils or coil .....i dont know what say here the differences in the 1000 and 1100 gose there seperate ways here

the advance , timing adjustment ,

i guess ican figure these kind of things when i get my 82 standard home and see how mine reacts ....1100 are very limited on what you can do on ignition....

i know that when i started atf in my 1000 it let know where all my weak spots were at .....1000shave weak spark....not know more on mine ...dyna ignition and coils fixed that .....then figuring out how to realy fine tune the dyna....going with hotter plugs....gaping them and filing plugs more... then the power and smoothnest realy started showing big time to a point that when i run a tank without atf i know it and the bike dosent like it ....gives you that feeling that you just got some bad gas....

that was a long time ago and the plugs never realy went bad i just change them every two yrs or so ....im at that point again plugs tha have been running almost 2 yrs

i havent mess with the ignition accept aimless messing around with it

99% of the time my bike never smokes .....this is over yrs of use....oh the air box mod was also done yrs ago .....and then when i did my exhast change i was expecting a drop in performance and it didnt happen if anything it raied the performance.....and when i did the gearing change and put more load on the motor it change the whole sound of the bike and seem to get smoother and more powerful.....in fifth gear because of the gearing i have no ideal where it could go .....but ican tell the mortor got the gear covered it anit going to run out of steam at all ....the bike is just not in tip top shape enough to go there or me either....

once i got everything going good it just never gave me any trouble at all .......

I put 8oz in my tank then topped off my tank and only gone about 5 miles and havnt noticed anything yet
Ill put on probably 20 miles tomorrow so maybe ill notice a difference then

joedrum":1vp8o46d said:
then the power and smoothness really started showing big time to a point that when I run a tank without atf I know it and the bike doesn't like it ....gives you that feeling that you just got some bad gas....
This is the result I get with SF...atf would be a cheaper product...but I'm still convinced your all in on this elaborate practical joke to get me to do something stupid. :smilie_happy:

~O~

Omega Man":29xm0q9i said:
joedrum":29xm0q9i said:
then the power and smoothness really started showing big time to a point that when I run a tank without atf I know it and the bike doesn't like it ....gives you that feeling that you just got some bad gas....
This is the result I get with SF...atf would be a cheaper product...but I'm still convinced your all in on this elaborate practical joke to get me to do something stupid. :smilie_happy:

~O~

Here's a pic of the quart of tranny fluid in my trunk.

No proof I put it in the tank but why would I have it in my trunk, right? :mrgreen:

IMG_0030.JPG

It's going to be a few weeks til I run this tank out but if your still skeptical I'll do a video of me putting it in the tank at next fill up.

could be ~O~your a hard nut to crack :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: your going to fall for it sooner or later :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

ive read your posts on useing seafome dosnt seem like your using that much....but you dont want to much SF continuosly ....this might eat the seals up and everything start leaking on your carbs .....ATF works exactly the opposit it will make seals and o rings better....and it cheaper....has more energy in it....
can get a bigger ratio in the same amount of gas....im going to get you to fall for it... :yes: :yes: :yes: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :cheeky: :mrgreen:

Since we're talking about cost I did some math, which is rare because I hate math.
I'm not trying to over think this but I've been curios how it works out cost wise.

A quart of tranny fluid= $2.50 (cheapest I could find) :head bang:

We get 4 "treatments" from one quart, that makes each treatment .63 cents :rtfm:

Gas here is $3.00 a gallon. :crying:

If atf increases MPG 2 miles per gallon that means you go 10 miles further on a tank. ( 5 gallons) :laptop:

At $3 per gallon and getting 40 mpg, each mile riden costs 7.5 cents. :blush:

So.....7.5 cents X 10 miles increase= .75 cents saved. :yahoo:
Subtract .63 cents cost of atf our net savings is .12 cents per tank. :headscratch:

I'm not good at math, someone check me :Awe:

If I'm right that's not much savings but does add up over time, and with the performance increase that makes it even better. :yes: