Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":29g3osuj said:
If they keep going in this direction carb engines wont work at all ......

I sure as hell hope not... Im sure if this does happen there will be some kind of fuel additive for carb engines

If it is left up to the EPA, this will happen. Matter of fact, if it was up to them, ALL fossil fueled vehicles would be outlawed.
I been hearing about the refining deal for some time now. The idea is that fuel injected, computer controlled engines can run extremely lean, compared to a carbed engine, so the actual properties of the fuel can be changed. The problem with that is there are still millions of carbed engines out there that need the older formulated fuel to operate. I think the idea of using the ATF to put back some of the heavy oils is valid. I didn't even put the 2 together until you said it, Joe.... :good:

well so far without the adding of enhancers.. I have hit 42.92 mpg on my last fillup... single rider to and from work.. go.......stop..go..................stop kind of traffic 15 lights.. 23 miles.. running about 50 mph most of the way.. once or twice hitting wot to pass (properly).. all I have done is new belts...

Joep":1hjafpfy said:
well so far without the adding of enhancers.. I have hit 42.92 mpg on my last fillup... single rider to and from work.. go.......stop..go..................stop kind of traffic 15 lights.. 23 miles.. running about 50 mph most of the way.. once or twice hitting wot to pass (properly).. all I have done is new belts...

That's very good mileage Joep.

How many miles on your bike?

Joep":3humpglv said:

I've been trying to figure out what the reason is for some bikes getting much better mpg than others.
Low engine miles don't seem to be one of them.

Well, I went for it. I put in 6oz ATF and topped off the tank yesterday before heading home. I had a bottle at the shop that was 6oz, so that's what I used. Don't know that I noticed any appreciable difference, but about halfway home(26 miles), it did seem to have a wee bit more "pep" when pulling around the slowpokes. I'll give it a tank or so to see how it works out. No smoking as of yet...at least none that I can see. :mrgreen:

AApple":fv398m44 said:
Well, I went for it. I put in 6oz ATF and topped off the tank yesterday before heading home. I had a bottle at the shop that was 6oz, so that's what I used. Don't know that I noticed any appreciable difference, but about halfway home(26 miles), it did seem to have a wee bit more "pep" when pulling around the slowpokes. I'll give it a tank or so to see how it works out. No smoking as of yet...at least none that I can see. :mrgreen:

Pose to be 8 OZ :Doh2: :rtfm:

AApple":31mwxi98 said:
...I had a bottle at the shop that was 6oz, so that's what I used....:mrgreen:

:cheeky:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Well...I can add a whole 2oz if ya think it's gonna make that big of a difference... :roll:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :yahoo:

At the very least, it will keep the rust formation in the tank down. My tank is rust-free now, so it would be nice to keep it that way. :eek:k:

dan filipi":3gv8q379 said:
Joep":3gv8q379 said:

I've been trying to figure out what the reason is for some bikes getting much better mpg than others.
The funny things is, this is the reason I started this thread, I cannot figure out why mine is so much less MPG than other 1100's! :smilie_happy: :lol:

BigAndrew":1fqfn0ew said:
I still havnt tried it yet on mine, I need to get me another glass measuring cup, I lost my last one in the move

No need for a measuring cup because they sell a quart bottle with a see thru measuring line in oz. on the side.

dan filipi":ek299h0j said:
BigAndrew":ek299h0j said:
I still havnt tried it yet on mine, I need to get me another glass measuring cup, I lost my last one in the move

No need for a measuring cup because they sell a quart bottle with a see thru measuring line in oz. on the side.

Good idea, I still need to get one for when i want to add some sea foam, Before the move i knew i had at least 2 different full bottles of ATF, of course i cant find them now

Joep":a4x0ud2k said:
dan filipi":a4x0ud2k said:
Joep":a4x0ud2k said:

MAybe because they need to breakin and it takes more mileage??

Imma thinking it has a more to do with wrist motion than anything else! :smilie_happy: Then again, some folks live in areas that are not flat land, as the D/FW area is. Hills and mountain riding are bound to lower the MPG somewhat.
I know I get the best mileage on mine when riding around 65 mph. At 75mph, the mileage drops by about 2mpg. :mrgreen:

dan filipi":6abvgqgg said:
Another way the man is stickin it to us to make us live by their rules!

Man, I had The Man!!

I got a question...anyone, after using the ATF, get a puff of white-ish smoke out of their exhaust on startup? My bike puffs it out of the right side when I start it. The first time it did it I thought we blew a headgasket, but I didn't smell that sweet, anti-freeze aroma at the time. It was overcast when that happened, so the smoke appeared to be an off-white color.

This morning when I started the bike, the sun was shining, and I could see a little bluish tinge to the smoke. Again, no anti-freeze odor, and the bike is running fine. I'm just curious...you know, I'm gonna have to pull that friggin' head just to make sure everything is ok before our scheduled SaddleSore 1000 ride on June 5th.

Bluish white could be the atf, I haven't noticed any yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.
If the smoke just started after atf I'd bet it is.

Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between bluish and black when mixed with normal condensation burn off.
Could be your getting a bit of oil past the rings or the carbs running rich.
Have you been riding it regularly or has it just come out of storage?
If it's been sitting in storage the smoke may stop, might try running some Seafoam to clean things up.