Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andyb":21os6svu said:
I plan to give this a test today. I am heading to Louisville for a night out with the guys. The trip up there is about 120 miles of Interstate plus some in town driving on both ends.

Good. It'll be nice to get another test.

just checked mine today.. according to my odo.. and the fillup.. I averaged 41.99+ mpg even with a parade speed 2 up ride through the country in the bikers for boobees run in support of the Susan G. foundation...

Wow. I went 164 miles on 3.9 gallons. That comes out to 42 mpg with no real attempts to conserve. Some of it as interstate going as fast 80 and some was back roads. It was not a spirited back road ride, but I got on it a few times. My previous best was about 38. I think this stuff works. Maybe it will keep getting better.

im humbled by the good reports :good: so far...i must mention that i dont think this is a good ideal for those who have newer bikes with all the sensors and stuff ...not something i know for sure but i dont want to advocate something i know nothing about....all my experiense is with the mongruel 1050 i have :smilie_happy: just love that name thanks joep :mrgreen:

nothing like sticking your neck out and trying to help and not getting it chop off :heat: :mrgreen:

joedrum":386h8flw said:
im humbled by the good reports :good: so far...i must mention that i dont think this is a good ideal for those who have newer bikes with all the sensors and stuff ..

Youre probably right there,especailly newer machines with catylist.I must admit I was openly sceptical,but cant wait to give it a try.Sounds like youre on to something good,and I cant think of any harm it could do on our fine vintage machines.

Hey Joe, do I need to keep adding this much each fill up or will it do it's magic and then no longer be necessary for a while?

at frist i wasnt very good at keeping up with my routine ....this is not uncommon for me..... this was good in a way it actualy proved that i needed to rise up to the job on my part as the bike would start to circum or start going downhill again....so ive got little 8oz bottles i keep in the glovebox now and threw all the other crap out and a neat little funnel and useit all the time ....well almost ....the saving in gas pays the price many times over ....the only weak link in the system is me .... :mrgreen:

I haven't done a calculation as to MPG. BUT the bike is definitely performing better. Better throttle response. Better mid range pull with less noticeable lugging feeling.

For me it's all about the extra performance I am seeing. And so far no negatives.

I rode today and yesterday and used a couple tanks of gas. Lots of miles and that bike ran like a good thing steady as a rock

Tom

dan filipi":2uzidlha said:
I'm going to try the atf.
How many capfulls would egual 8 oz.?

ATF comes in 32oz bottles. Just a quarter of a bottle? I'm not sure about ATF fluid, but the motor oil bottles having a clear strip with markings on the side showing the ounces.

Hey You left coaster guys.. Do they run smog checks on bikes in CA??? if they do this might make your ride fail... I know CARB is a real PITA and they even are enfluencing EPA ruleings.. so I would be careful about hydrocarbon addatives.. just $.02 from a former left coaster..

Joep":3g3m2039 said:
Hey You left coaster guys.. Do they run smog checks on bikes in CA??? if they do this might make your ride fail... I know CARB is a real PITA and they even are enfluencing EPA ruleings.. so I would be careful about hydrocarbon addatives.. just $.02 from a former left coaster..

If they do, just don't use the stuff when it's time to get it smogged...was that a word?

BigAndrew":3p98569e said:
joedrum":3p98569e said:
i wouldnt use seafoam either it has to much cleaner in it to use continuously ....

Whats wrong with seafoam?
I think i might try the ATF trick since my bike only gets about 27mpg :fiddle:
My carbs are a little outta sync and the po cut 4 HUGE slits in each muffler so i dont have enought back pressure
i fill up the wing and add half a can of seafoam, once in the spring and once in the fall. i'll average 48mpg on the 1200 wing and 44mpg on the 1500 wing

im not knocking seafoam im just saying it not something i would try useing all the time ....the cleaners are to strong for that and would probably cause problems if used continuously ....thats some great milage your getting .....

What do you guys think of one of my theories making the trans fluid increase mileage,

Imma wondering if the trans fluid "thickens" the gasoline just a bit which lets just a tad less pass thru the jets which leans out the fuel/air mixture giving an increase. This would mean the real cause for lowered mileage is worn jets?
Just a thought, kinda makes sense.

I see guys getting high 40's and up into low 50's with no additives. That's a substantial difference from high 30's-low 40's.
One day I'd like to change all the jets with new stock just to see.

( I edited the topic of this thread to "Average 35 MPG ? (How to increase fuel MPG)"

its hard to say ????but my theory is theres lots of reasons for bad gas mileage motors are dtfferent even though there the same ...compression ,carbs ,spark ,oil pressure,
balance,slop,fiction and a host of other things......but atf is the constant that cleans,tighten seals,makes the carbs ability mix fuel and air increase,lubricates better and increases the fuel energy .....with the ability improve a wide range of condition.....

I dunno but maybe it acts like oil and lubes the cylinders and possibly increases compression a little bit and thats causing better mpg...

joedrum":28ulvvx5 said:
im not knocking seafoam im just saying it not something i would try useing all the time ....the cleaners are to strong for that and would probably cause problems if used continuously ....thats some great milage your getting .....
i'll use it as a fuel stabulizer over the winter and twice during my riding season. that may be great milage but i ain't twistin the grip much

Latest posts