Time for me to address the 800lb Gorilla in the room.(Engine knock thread) REVIVED!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope,mine don`t start that hard Dan.It fires off on the first revolution and runs smooth even at below zero temps!And it`s got 130 thou.kilometers on it and no knocks or noises either.

dan filipi":26q9gnh3 said:
I got a new vid this AM of start up but discovered my little Canon camera microphone isn't good enough to hear the cold startup "ding, ding".

I'm curious though, do your guy's bike start like this hard cold? It's only down to 60 in the garage.
Are you using the choke? It doesn't sound like it. The '81 engine would sound like that if I started it in the winter (below 40 degrees) and did not use the choke. But even the '81 engine with the choke and cold would start instantly. I noticed that you are giving it a little throttle before starting it? I do not use the throttle until after the engine is running and off the choke. The new '83 engine will start with 1/2 choke and run for 1 minute and then no choke. If I can I will get a video made and post it.

At 60F I need to use the choke but it starts on first revolution. Now that it has warmed up(+ATF) I don't need the choke in the morning. Last year at this time when I'd only had her a short while, I had to choke her every morning regardless of how hot it was outside.

~O~

I was kinda letting it be noisy for the video as well on cold start up so I didn't choke it enough at first but near the end of the video I put the choke on more. Starts right off and runs good at below zero temps, cool Smokey!. I've got some carb issues for sure after reading your guys. At least one of my carb's has a non Honda needle and seat, not sure about the others.

I'm going to charge up my video camera. If it still works I'll get a better audio clip of my engine noises.

Yep, under 50 k on it at purchase! Plus all of the tinkering and things I have learned here on the forum about carb adjustment, the RIGHT mufflers (thanks again Dan, that really makes a big difference), new orings and seals, correct adjustments on the belts and valves and how sweet it is! :music2:

here's a better one with my DV camera which has a better microphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8MeKOxPZs

It's 68 degrees in the garage which starts about like Gerry's does on choke. Any colder it won't start this easy.
It'll idle at a lower rpm when cold with no choke but once warm the idle increases to about 950.

When it first starts you can hear the knock then goes away once the oil pressure comes up.

Oh, that knock you hear around 1 minute is something in the clothes dryer :smilie_happy:

Boy I like that choke on the handlebars! I just raised my idle to 1150 rpm because I found that the stator can keep 12 volts when the fan is running at idle and not drop down to 11 volts anymore.

dan it seems likr a lot of noise....i dont know what to think....but i think maybe piston slap is a good possibility....i mean you had the engine apart and check everthing when you put trans in ......were the chains on things look ok ....it dosent sound like that anyway.....wings can backfire a lot when not running right this can be an instant piston slap maker....

this is why id like to find a good single carb set up for my wings to eliminate a lot of factors that lead to things like this but so far i havnt jumped but i might soon with the projects im doing....id like to have supper fast bikes but id rather have one do a million miles :mrgreen:

:shock: :eek:
I finally got to watch/hear these vids....DANG!!!! I'll never complain aboot the piddly little knocking noise I hear while cruizin down the road!!! I just thought mine had a bottom end knock....yeeeeesh! :!:
I guess it is a testament to the durability of the Goldwing engine design..... :headscratch:

yep apple i was quite stund to but ithink piston slap that dan mention must be it on some of thr deals where oilpressure is not a factor and the back firing that canhappen in wings to cause that among others i guess....

today i'm putting some cams from a 75 1000 into an 82 1100 .... there not much to modify to put cams and ignition in a 1100 but some .....i'm doing this all from the outside so there's no taking the heads off .....this is just to see what happens and what kind of gains i can get ....so far things are going well ...i will post again later :mrgreen:

I've been wondering about swapping cams over like that too.
I have a set of 1000 cams on the shelf.

Hey what about breakin?

When I did Susies 1200 the head shop didn't seem to think there would be any problems but after so many miles.......
don't the cam bearings and caps wear in together?

yeah Vince , Dan I've been wondering to....I've been looking at a lot of info .... I'm not sure it going to make a huge difference but we will see....

so far I've got both cams in ......first took the plugs out they look good and made sure everything was cleaned out first tho.....second took timing covers off and turned to T1 no1 all the way up then turned it 90 degrees so all pistons are halfway down .....third loosen all rockers ....forth took the belts off.....fifth took the pulleys off....sixth took the cam carriers loose and out.....seventh put in 75 cams seals and such.....gut dark and stopped here for the day....

yeah Dan the 75 cams i used were not great looking ....had to take out ridges on cams and one lobe was pitted a bit .....id say the cams are on the fence about being good or bad ....i did the best i could and hoping there within reason for using ....the lift is actually taller on the 1100 cams but the duration is shorter ....

yes cams do wear in when new ....but from there its a matter of smoothing the ridges and stuff on rockers and cams to keep them from having edges to cut with and really wear...anyway that's what i think .....

i cant find my feeler gauges anywhere yet .....tomorrow i will time it and put it back together ......yikes it the timing thing i will have to be careful

I'm hope it works well ....at first I'm not going to use the the 1000 ignition ...the 1100 ignition is fine ....but i am going to put it on as a cover for the 75 cam as it sticks out .....so maybe ill have it together tomorrow and running ..... :mrgreen:

well 82 1100 with 75 cams is running .....i just got in after cranking it up ....oh that moment of of first start up ......i sure went slow timing the belts and had all the valve adjusters backed up .....put the cams in position on there marks .....brought the timing mark to t1 .....and put the belts on .....with the adjusters all the way back up i didn't have much trouble keeping the cams in place and putting belts on and tightening belt adjusters.....then adjusting the valves while still on t1 see front cylinder has the exhaust valve loose on the cylinder next to it and adjust the front cylinder at .004 ....go to t2 on the timing mark and see what cylinder has the intake valve loose on the cylinder in front of it and adjust that back cylinder .....then to t1 to adjust the other front cylinder the back cylinder exhaust valve should be loose next to it .....then to t2 to adjust other back cylinder the intake valve sould be loose on the front cylinder beside it .......then rotated the motor by hand a few times to check for valve hitting i also did this before adjusting the valves checking for valve hitting......then put the plugs back in and cranked it up ...it ran and then i notice oil :Doh2: :headscratch: i forgot to put the timing mark plug back in and got oil everywhere :Doh2: ......did that and crank it back up and ran it it to temp and everything was fine except for all the smoke for the oil spill ......

tomorrow i need to put the timing covers back on ....bolt the radiator back and the lowers back on and change the oil and filter and try it out to see how it runs right now im glad its running and sounding good :heat: :mrgreen:

Latest posts