What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117369#p117369:1ebjodbt said:
oldhondajamie » Sat May 10, 2014 5:54 pm[/url]":1ebjodbt]
Spray the carbs and boots with starter fluid no change in rpm so I don't think its a vacuum leak, also tapped the carb tops no luck. when I bring the engine back down to idle with the bike in gear it will stay there until I move the throttle over 1500 rpm's. could the air cut off valve have any thing to do with it, I did rebuild it along with the carbs. Grabbing at straws at this point.
If I remember right the passage going to the air cutoff is a direct line to the intake so not having one in will act as a vacuum leak, maybe one sticking or incorrectly installed would do the same as a vacuum leak but I don't exactly know for sure, I just put new ones in and didn't have any problem. slide cap washers on correctly? Not sure if it would cause your symptom but there is and up/down to them. Carb to carb linkage installed correctly?..I know you have to get the fork between the two little washers and the next carb.
Good luck.

New throttle cables carbs, were just ultra sonic cleaned and set up by a very reputable Goldwing mechanic, all new hoses and clamps tried to think of every thing so I would have any problems :head bang:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117378#p117378:1nyp2b18 said:
oldhondajamie » Sat May 10, 2014 7:00 pm[/url]":1nyp2b18]
Dan it has a dyna-s electronic ignition, I know very little about these systems
You can take off the ignition cover on the head and in the center there is a shaft that should be able to turn a little and it springs back but i`m not sure it would give 2500 RPM`s that's allot and sounds more like carbs/air leak or hanging throttle.

Pulled each intake runner one at a time pushed each slider up with a tongue depressor, found #2 hanging up a very little. Pulled the carbs again took each slider out and polished with some 2500 wet dry sandpaper cleaned , all slides working smooth. Put it all back same issue, if I pull up on the throttle linkage at the back of the carbs the idle will come down or fall till it stalls. this thing runs great pulls harder than my 750sohc 836 motor, plugs look great nice light brown. I just don't get it as soon as I touch the throttle it jumps to 2500 rpm :Awe:

Drove 40 miles into Anchorage to see the Custom Motorcycle show there, wasn't what I expected, first off its usually in a larger complex but there was construction at that one so they used a smaller AT&T pavilion, split down the middle one side was all dealer bikes, most old stock, not even a new Goldwing, lots and lots of new custom Harleys on the dealer side. I was hoping to see a new Indian, no luck.
Over on the other side you had the different classes, sport, touring, legal street and unlimited. Only two Goldwings, both were GL1800's, one with a trailer, nothing exotic at all on either, just a pair of Wings, nothing else! You had a couple of decent radical concept bikes, a drag bike and a few trikes, one bike looked like somebody had just hauled it out of a farms field, rust and all. Three of my current bikes would have been in the running for some form of a prize, if I had just a week the 82 fully dressed Aspencade I picked up two weeks ago might have won a top prize simply because its already a show bike, just needs detail work finished, I have all the parts. So after what I have seen it looks like a definite three of my bikes will be entered next year, maybe four as soon as I figure a show stopping agenda for the 85 Interstate. there just was a total absence of any "older" Wing is the thing, it wasn't all Harleys, many of the nice custom stuff was older cruisers and sport bikes, like two KZ1000 bikes, and I just traded one for that 82 GL1100. Even my pld 78 Yamaha 750 triple would have gotten attention. That one may get a all out black chrome job and carbon fiber wrap look, just for shits and giggles.

I got both motors out, now to clean, paint and install

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 90
Hooked up the tachometer and oil pressure light in the cluster I bought from Cbeagles67 to the 1200 FI engine. Haven't run it for about 2 months, and she fired right up. Gotta love fuel injection! I really need to decide what to do with this engine...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1FjxxFkBSI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Trial fitted the mp3, SD card, FM radio and alarm with the speakers mounted off the top screen clamps
[video]https://youtu.be/9lu9AyWGfaU[/video]
Cleaned up the rust under the old badge and glued on the new/old badge

I did my first carb sinc ever to my 76. It did help, but I need new points. The points that are in it now are brand new from the PO, unfortunately I think he bought some crap from ebay instead of OEM black bombers. Once I do that I can set the ignition properly, in the meantime the bike is ridable and runs great over 3k rpm. Idles not bad.

I tore apart the rear end of my 75. Gonna replace the rear disk, tire, brake lines, paint the exhaust, clean the motor, and clean that engine filter that you cant get to without removing the exhaust. I am looking forward to having some stopping power. I am also gonna grease everything and change all my fluids. Cant wait to get this bike in tip top for the firts time in a long time. Only had it since feb...

Attachments

• 75 rear rebuild 001.jpg
    75 rear rebuild 001.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 75 rear rebuild 002.jpg
    75 rear rebuild 002.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 75 rear rebuild 003.jpg
    75 rear rebuild 003.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 98
Since I can't ride her Crystal just got a 3hr wash, wax and detail including taking a toothbrush to the handlebar controls to get rid of that pesky desert dust. I hope Janet doesn't mind it was her toothbrush. :shock: :rant: :hihihi:

~O~