1200 getting modded to accept a left rear cam drive for the C5 ignition.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as dan put it to me ...when i wanted him to hooch this motor ... was he wanted to show the forum this could be done ... first was the front try ... now it the rear of head try ...through this process .. you can see the skill grow in the attemps ...and it all right here documented ... the fact the motor is a 40$ motor or a 1000$ motor means nothing at all ... sheesh the junk yard dog motor was trashed ... but it going to come out nice i think ... this forum is about informing people what can be done for real ... not just blab of no backing ... sheesh yes it was a gamble on a 40$ motor ...but it has already proved its worth much more than that .... this thread absolutly shows what can be done ... this project goes back a long ways on this forum ...it actually started with something dan said to me ...quote ..i wonder if rear ignition of 84 1200 might axcept 1100 iggy ... i took that gamble and made one work that way to broke to bring it to road ready but it still here ans runs with 1200 carbs and all hooked up to 1100 bike iggy and wiring ... there are so many first here on this forum and it seems people are really liking our way ... we dont have as many pretty bling bikes like others do ... but we sure have some innovated builds and first ... its like hooch theres others out there but its all talk on what they say the bikes are here we do vids and no talk .. as far as i know hooch is the only one that speaks for itself .... just as dan bike does ...

this bike is in new territory and not a cookie cutter 40$motor or 1000$ motor

Like most of the members here I am much more impressed by the low dollar positive outcomes that the throw buckets of money at it results. That being said $500 is a lot for most of us to get their head around and there still seems to be many attempts to produce an ignition that works for less. As more people use the C5 ignition it is becoming apparent by the results that this is a worthwhile investment in any build. I don't think anything really has to be said about the $200-$300 for a single carby conversion that has so much tuning potential over the cost of reconditioning a stock rack. Am I the only one who is amazed by a $40 1200 that has turned out to be a true diamond? I just paid that for a second hand rh mirror!!

Well said Joe.

And it's not about the $ cost to me as it is to find out what CAN be squeezed out of these motors.
Hell there are racers drooling to get this ignition because they can program it with advanced curves that would save blowing a $20,000 motor. They cant run it because it would give them that 'edge', the powers that be know full well the potential of this ignition.

$ cost, I say to anyone that doesn't like the cost just be quiet and go cry somewhere else.

yes tony .. you have 700 pounds of choices and i think your new bike is a diamond in the rough too ...cant wait to see it grow too ... not slaming here just putting in my thoughts

Deals are where you find them. I blow $40 almost every stop at a gas station. The motor was a risk at that price. No telling why the seller thought it wasn't worth more. I think it has proven itself quite well with all the work Dan has put into it. I spent $2500 on my first wing which is really no better than my second which cost me $500. The only real difference was I was in no hurry the second time.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122345#p122345:2r7b0gzc said:
joedrum » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:29 am[/url]":2r7b0gzc]
yes tony .. you have 700 pounds of choices and i think your new bike is a diamond in the rough too ...cant wait to see it grow too ... not slaming here just putting in my thoughts

I will be pulling the rack and giving it a once over but if there are any major costs involved I will be going the way of the single that you and Dan have pioneered :good: The same with the ignition no real money will be spent on the stock setup when I know the C5 is so superior :yes:

For those planning on installing a C5 ignition, here is some news.
Once our testing is done on the new M series ignition, there will be an option to place it into the stock Honda points cup.
Although it will only have 2 curves (not 4) it will knock $100 of the price of the kit. You don't get the sexy billet parts but it's an affordable option.

All the "regulars" know every detail of Dan's conversion. For those who just arrived on the scene...I want to make it perfectly clear that DAN designed and installed this kit.
My input was very minimal. It helps prove how versatile this ignition can be. One kit gets modified to fit another, then it helps us build yet another ignition system for something else. I showed Dan pictures of encoder mounts and talked briefly on the phone but it was really his design and totally his idea to do this.

Gary at PowerArc and I have talked about Dan's progress (as we did with Hooch) and made no bets on if it would even work.
Let say clearly that I'm impressed and honored to be a part of this forum. I've never met a group of guys more determined to improve a bike.

All forums are fun to read once in awhile but this one is rare...it encourages the impossible. Thanks Dan for not giving up after destroying a few parts. You stuck with it and now have the ONLY GL1200 on earth with multi spark ignition and twin optic beam triggers.

"Thanks Dan for not giving up after destroying a few parts. You stuck with it and now have the ONLY GL1200 on earth with multi spark ignition and twin optic beam triggers."

How cool is that?!?! I like everything about this build - backyard (or garage) tech, minimal dollars. OK, if you tried to get a new pulser/advance assembly, new coils/ballast resistor, new ignitors, new plugs, wires and boots/caps - you'd spend well over $1,000! So yes, the C5 is a very inexpensive alternative, and far superior! And...a $40 engine!! Backyard tech at minimal cost! That's what we strive for.

Dan, :salute: :hi: :thanks: :clapping:

Paul mentioned something at Joe’s place last year and it has stuck with me and it has also been one of the biggest contributing factors as to why I didn’t hesitate to drop the $$$ on the C5 for my 1100 and will do the same thing for my 1200. I am paraphrasing because this was all discussed around a camp fire after a few beers and hot dogs, so my memory might not be as good as it once was.

People buy these old bikes for very little money and over time drop almost twice the purchase price into parts and accessories to improve that bike to get it to where they want it. It doesn’t matter if it is to make it look better or to make it run better, the owner is going to spend the money to make it their own.

My personal choice is to spend most of my money on making it run better with newer technology and then what ever I have left over, spend that on making it look better. In the end, I still haven’t spent half as much as a low mileage 1500 or a new 1800 and the bike will still last for years and years and is still far easier to work on. Sure I could buy all the things that sparkle and shine that serve no purpose first, but I want to have a bike that I can get on an ride across country and not worry about where is it going to break down or how many times I am going to have to fix something. I know I don’t have to worry about the ignition system for years to come. My fuel system is my next concern and as there are more and more success stories, it is building my confidence that I too can mirror other’s success.

Some say backyard tech, some say caveman tech, I say it’s just a matter of getting the job done… Congrats Dan!

Thanks guys.
As weird as it may sound to some this was actually fun to do.
I have to give credit to Paul and Joe for offering what tricks they had. That helped a lot, especially Paul since he had been here before on the first prototypes which helped me some what to watch out for along the way.

I need to get some better video.
In all fairness though, that last video was a true to life account. It was THE FIRST start after install, not like I had already started and test run and adjusted before taking the video. The same as I always do so I present a real life deal.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122395#p122395:34smru23 said:
C5Performance » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:09 pm[/url]":34smru23]
Once our testing is done on the new M series ignition, there will be an option to place it into the stock Honda points cup.
Although it will only have 2 curves (not 4) it will knock $100 of the price of the kit. You don't get the sexy billet parts but it's an affordable option.

All the "regulars" know every detail of Dan's conversion. For those who just arrived on the scene...I want to make it perfectly clear that DAN designed and installed this kit.
My input was very minimal. It helps prove how versatile this ignition can be. One kit gets modified to fit another, then it helps us build yet another ignition system for something else. I showed Dan pictures of encoder mounts and talked briefly on the phone but it was really his design and totally his idea to do this.

Gary at PowerArc and I have talked about Dan's progress (as we did with Hooch) and made no bets on if it would even work.
Let say clearly that I'm impressed and honored to be a part of this forum. I've never met a group of guys more determined to improve a bike.

All forums are fun to read once in awhile but this one is rare...it encourages the impossible. Thanks Dan for not giving up after destroying a few parts. You stuck with it and now have the ONLY GL1200 on earth with multi spark ignition and twin optic beam triggers.
So Paul, your saying the new M series will be fitted to the 1000 points housing?
Are you also designing the encoder wheel holder to use the 'new' design or will it still be held with the sleeves as it is now?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122464#p122464:2f7xtee3 said:
dan filipi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:10 pm[/url]":2f7xtee3]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122395#p122395:2f7xtee3 said:
C5Performance » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:09 pm[/url]":2f7xtee3]

So Paul, your saying the new M series will be fitted to the 1000 points housing?
Are you also designing the encoder wheel holder to use the 'new' design or will it still be held with the sleeves as it is now?

Our plan is to create a mounting plate that tucks into the stock housing, and use sleeves (different length of course) just as it is now.
For those who don't care about having 4 curves, it will save money and keep the bike "stock" in appearance.

This forum and the stuff people try makes me think and wonder and even makes me allot less worried with trying different things outside my normal realm. while my bikes looks are important reliability is by far more important. and with a bike that's 35 years old I do worry about going far especially as repair parts are not sitting at the local Honda dealership. but a huge thank you to all but especially Dan

came accross this pic of the 1200 i moded to work in 1000 bike
image.php

image.php

once it became clear that the early 1000 cams were going to hit piston i abandon this set up ... thought it would be nice to see it in this thread ... as what dan did to use adaptor plate for c5 on 1200 head is something this forum had a history on ... fuel pump also on other head ...its really still just like out in the doghouse this motor going to get hooched too someday along with another one i have ... neat stuff to me ...of coruse back then there was no c5 to consider it has the dyna on it ....

I thought there was a post about me putting the 1200 tach in my 1100 but I'll just post it here.

All done.
I hate working the wiring behind the fairing weight with the fairing on almost as much as working on brakes!

I kept my old speedo because 1200 front wheel is different size and I like an accurate reading.
I'm also leaving the 'glare shield' off to make it easier to work on later.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outR9JElQeI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Latest posts