Littlebeavers Conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan I went to napa and got some better connector's, I looked for a good crimp tool but they didn't have one for 6 gauge wire because I up graded to 6 gauge..I got the connectors some blue lock tight, some silicon for the water pump part, [spacer] and a 6 gauge butt for the wires. I bought a better crimp tool anyway..only goes to 8 gauge though.. I was always taught to use what you have on hand, and that's what I did, talk about a really good freakin crimp guys and most won't even know it, a good set of heavy vise grips will smash the living crud out of the connector when you don't have a good tool to use..See, you start slow and just keep turning the adjuster as you go an that sucker is chrimped really well, so I got that done with no problem, now I need to solder and I like cover it all with jb weld after I solder..My question to you is should I move the battery connector there on the end , closer to the fuse..Dan what do you think? I left room to do so and I have several more connectors...thanks.. :ahem:

littlebeaver":pqqeoafj said:
Dan I went to napa and got some better connector's, I looked for a good crimp tool but they didn't have one for 6 gauge wire because I up graded to 6 gauge..I got the connectors some blue lock tight, some silicon for the water pump part, [spacer] and a 6 gauge butt for the wires. I bought a better crimp tool anyway..only goes to 8 gauge though.. I was always taught to use what you have on hand, and that's what I did, talk about a really good freakin crimp guys and most won't even know it, a good set of heavy vise grips will smash the living crud out of the connector when you don't have a good tool to use..See, you start slow and just keep turning the adjuster as you go an that sucker is chrimped really well, so I got that done with no problem, now I need to solder and I like cover it all with jb weld after I solder..My question to you is should I move the battery connector there on the end , closer to the fuse..Dan what do you think? I left room to do so and I have several more connectors...thanks.. :ahem:

That looks fine because some flexibility is needed anyway when stuffing the fuse holder above the battery or wherever.

Uou know when I was 19 I learned about the importance of good crimpers. I was working for the Forest Service in eastern Oregon, building hiking trail up the mountian. We had to do some blasting of rock and trees, so they hired an old time blaster to teach us. The most important things I learned from him is don't keep electriacl blasting caps in the glove box of your vehical (He told me that and he said "TRUST ME" I did.) :clapping: The second thing he tought me was by doing it himself. He crimped the blasting caps with his teeth, I took his lesson to hart and bought a GOOD crimper therefor I kept a cool head all these years. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Thank's Dan I'm gonna run a 50 amp fuse in that line anyway, I'm not using the locktight until I get the solid pulley from country I think. good story Toy... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: did you know if you put a nail in the center while chrimping it with the grips it looks just like a real chrimper did it ..I'm not concerned over these chrimps..it surprised me..Trust me it's good..

actually my head is still hurting some still, thanks for asking, I knocked myself pretty gosh darn good, I gotta quit head butting stuff man, the bike won that round..But... I'll Be Back...the double vision is starting to go away finally.. ha ha now I have an excuse for when I screw up something , I'll just blame it on my head trauma...I really do still have a headache though.. Hey that wire was like $1.25 a foot for the 6 gauge, cool. Napa had a good selection of 6 gauge connectors...and you guy's thought I was goofy before... :hihihi: :smilie_happy:

When i was looking for the 8 ga wire I was at NAPA and asked where I might find it. A customer was standing there and said I hae some at home. If you want to follow me I'll give you some. He cut off about 12 feet way more than I asked for. He then put a connector on it and gave me 3 more connectors. Said to let him see my project when it was complete.

If anyone needs 8 ga( I really think it is a smaller gauge) 6 ga maybe--anyway if anyone needs my extra wire it is all yours. Just let me know.

Dan I will admit, I had the el cheapo connectors on the 8 gauge wire before, thanks to you and the chart you supply us with, I got a larger wire so I have an option to use a 60 amp fuse if I need to.. larger wire won't hurt a thing..I'm sticking with the 50 amp though, the napa connectors are way better, I see what you mean.. And they will fit the stud on the alt. better too..Awesome ness..Oh and I made sure it was copper wire too...See guy's I listen sometimes..

Hey Guy's that would be a really cool project for me now, make a totally new wind tunnel for the fan, a really neat one that goes all the way back to the heat shield. not flush but about 1 1/2" away to get some air flow..hey hey hey..if I ...and I hey..

good morning guy's, I'm done with my connectors with the jb weld over them, here's a photo before I tape over it..That sucker is protected good now from moisture and water,dirt..
image.php

So why do I use jb weld, because it gets in places that shrink wrap doesn't...it's an excellent insulator..I told the lady at NAPA I was going to do this, should have seen the look on her face, you would think it was a crime, it works really well for me, and that's what makes me happy.. :Egyptian: But most of all it's really strong stuff so that joint will be good for a very very long time..

Yes it is a most excellent seal, Guy's I got my water pump spacer in today, it's my daughter's birthday so we will go to her art show at school then to supper, I made a new and improved bracket for the top part of the alterrnator I like it better than the twisted steel one.. Looks more professional too I think..I'm considering two one for each side of the housing so if you need to twist the alternator a hair you can with nut adjustments..

image.php

Nothing my friend I took that photograph on top of the computer's printer and the inline switch is to the lamp.. that sits on the file cabinet...

Guy's I know my pulley is good, I couldn't pry it apart after the jb weld set up on it no way no how, with the bolt tightened down on it, I'm positive it won't go anywhere...and it's spinning true.. Now, do I go with mine or wait for Countryboy's to come in, see once I place that locktight down on that 60mm bolt it's there to stay for a long time..Hummmm going to give this some thought,, both todd and dan both used there homemade one's with no problem...but Wilcoy had an issue,,,hummmm..I need opinions...Please..I'd have to get a smaller pulley again for the alt. and I gotta buy another belt.. What would you do...I think I'm gonna wait to see how it fits when it gets here..I wonder if Countryboy ever tested his alt.?????

Latest posts