running issue. its got me beaten

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i'm done with it. i have decided to just ride the thing and see what happens. taking off for a trip to Melbourne tomorrow. about 500 klms down there, then off to the historic motorcycle race meeting at Broadford . then home on Monday.
at the moment the new engine has about 750 klms on it , so should be well and truly run in by the time i get back. i will not take these carbs off again or fiddle with anything else. it is what it is. :roll:

LOL...GIVE THIS MAN SOMETHING TO BEAT WITH A HAMMER ...TILL CALM .....when i got to where it was obvious all the 90 degree corners in the stock carbs it was obvious some carbs will never get clean ...90degree corners can get compromised beyond ability to fix ...and can also just in the carb body itself and never have a good running day ever ...there is more useless tech and cant stand on its own .... in the stock racks ......i will never appreciate or be the care giver to such a set up again ...i like things that work and have wide sweet spot ....

you ought to go to a single on one bike to see how well it will beat your best stock carb bike ... you will be amazed ...as i was too ... :ahem: :mrgreen:

Time to change Koolaid flavours Joe :smilie_happy: Maurice has one of the nicest GW that I have seen here in Oz. You need to remember that there really aren't many Oldwings down here and to see an original Australian delivered one that has been fully restored/rebuilt is amazing. You have seen his videos so you know the time (and money) that has gone into this build so he has high expectations of the outcomes. I feel that with some real miles on this engine everything will settle down as the new engine is run in :yes: ( it currently only has a couple of hundred miles in it)

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135069#p135069:2h926kar said:
Ansimp » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:55 pm[/url]":2h926kar]
Time to change Koolaid flavours Joe :smilie_happy: Maurice has one of the nicest GW that I have seen here in Oz. You need to remember that there really aren't many Oldwings down here and to see an original Australian delivered one that has been fully restored/rebuilt is amazing. You have seen his videos so you know the time (and money) that has gone into this build so he has high expectations of the outcomes. I feel that with some real miles on this engine everything will settle down as the new engine is run in :yes: ( it currently only has a couple of hundred miles in it)
:good: I agree. It's basically a brand new bike that needs break in time. Which may take a while judging from the internal condition of some motors with a lot of miles. They still look near new with very little wear.

well, rode my 75 to Melbourne and back, it's first highway run on the new engine. and the running issue is no better. through the rev range of 2000 to 3000 it is at its worst. but there is vibration through the whole thing at other revs.
so, where i'm at........ the fuel system has been completely gone through.
the ignition has been changed out , along with plugs (several types) , leads and caps.
the valves were re visited and are all sealing correctly.

it has this running issue while stationary, so it is not drive train related. which has me coming to the conclusion that it is something deeper in the engine. and that maybe there is more than one problem. Tony ( Ansimp ) called me when i was on the way home the other day ( i have bluetooth in my helmet ) and i was able to describe it a little better. after talking to him i have decided to pull this engine out, put the 76 ( LTD ) engine back in. and pull this bastard right down and start again. so far i have removed the carbs and heads. i have measured all piston heights and they are all the same as the 76 engine. here are some pics. the first is 76 piston height ( no 1 ) second is the 75 piston height . ( all were the same )
image.php

image.php

Could be it's camera angle, but looking at the pics in the gallery it appears the ruler isn't straight from one side of the piston to the other which would make the measurement different.

yeah, its the camera angle Dan. they are all exactly the same height. i really dont know if the vibration is a symptom of the stumble/hesitation , but i will find out. just waiting on some head gaskets to arrive. then put this spare 76 engine back in ( i ran that in the 75 while rebuilding the original ) then a strip down, just to be absolutely certain all is well in its innards.
then start again............... :wave:

have just taken my other wing ( 76 LTD) out for a spin round town and a bit of a squirt out the highway, and received a stern warning from the wallopers. came up behind them a bit quick. unmarked cars should be marked..... :smilie_happy:
the upside of that is , i had fitted the carbs from my 75 to it this morning and it ran beautifully. this has restored my faith in my carb building skills.... :roll: and also in these carbs themselves. Joe will be mortified..... :wave: ( just jokin Joe )
next will be , as Tony suggested this morning, getting the heads crack tested and then go on from there. :moped:

dont know myself how these heads are tested. i know with a cast iron head they can be tested with metal filings some how. i will find out tho. how does a pressure test show a crack or otherwise ?
ps
i am 99.99 per cent sure the heads are fine.

hmmmm ...well the carbs are off the table then ..not the problem ....one way to tell if its heads is to put other heads on the is motor with other known good parts you have ...dont you have the 76 torn motor torn down also ....seems to me that is your best option to zero in on this ....to me it seems really difficult not to figure out .. with the off idle problem and vibration its doing so on a regular bases ...it seems it would showing itself ....plugs ...piston crowns ....carbs ....visual somewhere......i cant remember if this is c5 ignition equip or not .....i can say that on the hooch bike the stator had a problem and would basically cause ignition problems when it got warmed up ...this was spread across using poits and dyna ignitions ...there was a wire from the stator that is connected by honda ..under the black wiring harness wrap where it split off and went to regulator and retifier that was shorting out not big time but enough to cause the ignition system to cut out

to me a micro crack in that leaves no signs at all anywhere ..to is cant be the problem ...my 1/2 penny thought :hihihi: :builder: :mrgreen:

i bet tony were on to something ... dyna is the weakest of all the ignition under stress ...if it was me id be looking here ...sure was a mess to figure out hooch ...changing ignition switch ..putting in relays ..all that did nothing till i found that wire ...instant running then with no cutout in motor

i guess it could be in the stator too dan ..theres no doutb in my mind that ignition can be screw with intermittent short ... that never really gets worst hooch was months and months of ride away and dam near limp back or walk ... seems aussiegold deal is even more subtle

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135463#p135463:3ojtm53s said:
joedrum » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 am[/url]":3ojtm53s]
i guess it could be in the stator too dan ..theres no doutb in my mind that ignition can be screw with intermittent short ... that never really gets worst hooch was months and months of ride away and dam near limp back or walk ... seems aussiegold deal is even more subtle
Well low running voltage from the stator could easily exaggerate a funky connection somewhere in the wiring or switches.
Connecting the C5 direct to battery power should help narrow down the problem.

Latest posts