sand coming out of coolant impeller area?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I'd flush any more or if it's even needed but I can see that if you started with a clean pan again and during more flushing some grit showed up in the pan then it would be worth the effort.
When your done flushing and the front cover is back on, I would put 3 quarts oil in and a new filter then spin it with the starter and spark plugs out to get everything oiled up good.
Maybe 4-5 30 second spins.
Drain that oil and put 3 quarts fresh back in.
Might be a good idea to change the filter again.

well guys it actually good if there isnt much to talk about whats in the pan ... i am glad it seemed lite...now you know there not much in there ... the inside of motor is probably in rather good shape ....

and yes the 1200 is my favorite motor for sure ... when mixed properly with other oldwing parts and a few other parts ...LOL

Agreed. I have 4 new oil filters and 3 gallons of rotella t left waiting for this. Got lucky finding deals on them. goodwill had the new oil sealed for $3 per gallon, and i won all four filters for $9 shipped total off eBay.
Heading out for more diesel now...

It's been going two hours again but the fuel only gained a tinge of color, compared to black coffee with the first batch, so I think this is coming out nice and clean.
I'll let it go as long as the fuel lasts.
I'll run clean oil through to flush, but then how long should my second oil change look fresh after this? My previous oil change{0 miles ago} was wasted, that stuff was black just after a few runs on the stand in the driveway.

Remember to crank it over with no spark to clean out the clutch and nooks and crannies. After draining the oil, I am always amazed at how much more comes out after a few cranks.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=129164#p129164:a3afmv5c said:
ekvh » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:08 pm[/url]":a3afmv5c]
Remember to crank it over with no spark to clean out the clutch and nooks and crannies. After draining the oil, I am always amazed at how much more comes out after a few cranks.

+1 on that $#!T.

You have just removed all the oil from every mating surface, like it's a brand new motor, but it ain't.

I would take out the plugs and spin it on the starter for a while before you even attempt to start it.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=129170#p129170:22vuiv87 said:
chilidawg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03 pm[/url]":22vuiv87]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=129164#p129164:22vuiv87 said:
ekvh » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:08 pm[/url]":22vuiv87]

+1 on that $#!T.

You have just removed all the oil from every mating surface, like it's a brand new motor, but it ain't.

I would take out the plugs and spin it on the starter for a while before you even attempt to start it.

Will do, thanks.
She got 10 hours of being a lawn fountain today with the new fuel and final color is like iced tea, was green tea at the start, but that's got to be good enough.

How do I clean diesel off the driveway, and front tire from some splashing, is the last question.

I have the valve covers off, already looks clean. How do I tell for sure what cam is in here? I can't see much of it, where are some markings or something?

Also having a hell of a time trying to clean the old gasket remnants off the water pump covers, after getting the bulk off with a razorblade. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20140824_170643.jpg
    IMG_20140824_170643.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 74
Gasket remover!! It is a spray on product available at any autoparts store. Don't dig too hard with that razor blade; you do not want to knick the aluminium!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=129347#p129347:3f1c3u7s said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:00 pm[/url]":3f1c3u7s]
Come to think of it, the last gasket remover I used did not spray on, it was in a can with an applicator. It worked better than any other one I ever used. Soaked right through the gasket and made it gooey.

Here it is:

https://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 35009_0_0_

I always love Permatex products :good:

Well i found a way online to get the gasket surfaces perfectly clean and honed flat at the same time, without having to go buy more stuff I already couldn't afford... 220grit wet/dry sandpaper on a slab of granite tile. I would have laughed at the idea of sandpaper, except now that I tried it, damn, the results are beautiful and no nicks or gouges or rounded off edges. Laid the paper on the tile and moved the parts on it, came out perfect. There were imperfections in the flatness of some mating surfaces, you could see high and low spots during wet sanding, but not any more.

Latest posts