California meet and greet March 20th 2010

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shots mostly of Burro Schmidts Tunnel... this is the side adventure... we all piled into Dan and Anita's Suburban for the trip.... recommended by Cookie, local character of Randsburg, he has been riding the area for decades.
He was right! but the adventure was worth it....
susie

Attachments

• DSC04541e.jpg
    DSC04541e.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC04550e.jpg
    DSC04550e.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC04553e.jpg
    DSC04553e.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC04555e.jpg
    DSC04555e.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC04557e.jpg
    DSC04557e.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC04565e.jpg
    DSC04565e.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC04560ae.jpg
    DSC04560ae.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC04568e.jpg
    DSC04568e.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC04571e.jpg
    DSC04571e.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC04577e.jpg
    DSC04577e.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 162
Any more photos of our adventures should be posted by the others.... Shouldn't have taken my Saturn up to Government Peak but we were on a mission. The photo is almost as good as an aerial view of the area. We
(the Four Aces Motorcycle Club) used to be include this as a down hill in our hare and hound....

Attachments

• DSC06945e.jpg
    DSC06945e.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC06963e.jpg
    DSC06963e.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC01690e.jpg
    DSC01690e.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC01695e.jpg
    DSC01695e.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC04546e.jpg
    DSC04546e.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Government Peak PanCaraDanTiree.jpg
    Government Peak PanCaraDanTiree.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 167
My wife Valerie met me at my dads place near Bakersfield, where we spent Friday night and dropped off the kids, then continued on the bike to Mojave where we met up with Dan & family, and sidecarsusie. From there we stopped at Garlock:

Then we continued on to Randsburg:
Here we are waiting at the park next to the museum for the rest of the crew to show up.
kah92340 was already there waiting when we arrived.

Some things to ponder around the outside of the museum:

A walk through the inside of the museum:

A walk up the street in Randsburg:

Here's a walk through one of the "antique/suvenier/sucker tourist" type stores. In all fairness, we saw some interesting items and the dude out front was quite a unique personality.

Back out onto the street:

After lunch Dan and Susie took us out to the tunnel:

It was an interesting drive to the tunnel, and we took a different road out which was much smoother, but every bit as interesting. I'm glad we did it.
As we left Randsburg I noticed my bike was handling kinda sloppy with the roaring sound of a low rear tire. But Dan saved my tail with a can of Fix-A-Flat which got me the 40 miles back into Mojave while Valerie accepted a ride in the Suburban. At the gas station we plugged my tire and aired up as the sun was setting. Me and Valerie spent the night at the Days Inn there in Mojave and headed down 58 through Tehachapi the next day. When we arrived back at my dads place he took us all out to eat lunch. That's where I parted company and headed home for the coast. I gased up at the Buttonwillow truck stop, checked my tire one more time, and continued west on hwy 58, through the California Valley/Curizo Plain/San Andreas Fault, to Santa Margarita where hwy 58 ends at the 101. The another 30 minuts to home.
The last time I took hwy 58 across the California Valley was nearly 10 years ago. The road was pretty rough back then. But to my surprise and pleasure, the road has all been redone and it turned out to be quite an enjoyable ride. This road is pretty trecherous on the eastern side with many, many 5mph hairpin turns. Gotta stay cool! The new pavement really made a difference!
I gotta tell ya, I have never before in my life seen the California Valley so green! It's hard to imagine that in another month or so that place will be dry, brown, and well over a hundred degrees.

Nearing Santa Margarita:

looks like you guys and gals had a great time, nice pics of days gone by , you can just feel the care free life in the pics , makes you wonder about so called progress to how we live now

The 1200 ran cool and if compared to previous adventures cold.... it still has a little tick on the right bank but runs and handles great... Now to get back into shape for riding... also need to do a bit of clean up,,, just got the surface for the ride.

Great pics Susie, Ron.

I've got to mess with mine to get rid of the reddish/purple. When I move the slider it throws the other colors off.
I don't do much PS, I'd rather build something on the bike.

Looks like a good time was had by all!!! Thanx for sharing the pics!!! :music: :good:

sidecarsusie":5qp0jvfp said:
The 1200 ran cool and if compared to previous adventures cold.... it still has a little tick on the right bank but runs and handles great... Now to get back into shape for riding... also need to do a bit of clean up,,, just got the surface for the ride.

That is great news! :clapping:

Is your bike fuel injected?

mcgovern61":3t0273v0 said:
sidecarsusie":3t0273v0 said:

That is great news! :clapping:

Is your bike fuel injected?

It has carbs.

The right side has a persistant tap no matter what I do to eliminate it, doesnt change.

I learned something about installing mufflers on these beasts, you should snug the head bolts first down to the seals then bolt everything else up. I didnt on Susies bike :oops:
The tap sounds more like tappets but an exhaust leak can sound similar.

This was Valeries first ride that lasted over 30 minutes. She had a good time. In fact, she's given me the go ahead to look for an Aspencade. She says "as long as it's a pretty one".

Would be a shame to buy a pretty one and have to park it outside.

Latest posts