couple 1200 mutts getting doghouse resurection - Enter Jyd

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks mike ..on these theres no oring on the bowl drains is there sippose to be seems to be a slot for one ?

on my deal I will not be using the fresh air burn with the 1000 heads ...im rather sure I got that figured ..looks like just plug air box hole and reroute vacume lines ..

right no im on bowl side clearing idle jets and nain jet also float vslve seat and screen removal and cleaning .....

The 85 and 86 set I went through did not have o-rings on the drain. Like you I thought that was odd however they where not leaking when on the bikes. They don't even show the drain screw on the parts fische that I could find so I tested the float bowl with water and it didn't leak. The screw is made like a brass needle valve and appears to have a brass seat. I installed 0-rings on mine anyway and when removed it had cut and tore the o-rings when I took them out. I put some more on, installed them and left them screwed in. I figured what could it hurt but I don't think they came with o-rings on them.

I don't believe that o rings were required as the seat should be the seal, maybe the land was put there for a just in case.

image.php

carbs right after stripping jets floats and float valve and seat and screen
image.php

parts idle and main jet float valve seat and screen
image.php

all done bowl area cleaned ...all four idle jet were clogged ....two of the floats were stuck in seats ...as oldwing carbs go these are sweet in the bowl area compared to other oldwing racks .....a breeze ...the down fall of them is the rubber diapham slides ...its a gamble to even take them apart to look at things ... ithink im going to chech that slides moves freely and try ...the slides are to expensive to play with unless you have to

I useally flush all passages with a snot sucker but couldn't find it ill buy one tomorrow ...the way the carbs are its still easy to do :mrgreen:

I believe they are metal joe with a teflon type black coating on them. I had one stuck with a diaphragm deformed
IMG01911-20130519-1554.jpg
, it appeared that stale gas turned varnish is what caused it to stick. Anyway their was a worn spot on the side of the slide that indicated it was metal, a magnet will not stick to it, so it must be some grade of aluminum. The inside of the slide where you get to the needle valve nut is metal.
IMG01910-20130519-1553.jpg

I fixed the diaphragm by soaking it in atf for a day or so and I was able to gentley stretch it back to its shape, fit it back in top hat and screwed it down. I just checked it a few minutes ago and it has retained it's normal shape.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86689#p86689:28g873nk said:
slabghost » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:54 pm[/url]":28g873nk]Looking great so far. Wow! Look at the size of that plenum chamber!
First thing I thought when I pulled Suzies 1200 carbs, "what the hell?"
Lotsa wasted space there.

ok guys and mike thanks for the info...as it is im really posting in real time so some posts are at the moment ...and first thoughts ...that's good really as everyone knows my first reaction ...the one slide I did look at so far was just good looking as can be ... and free ...there three others to look at movment and distorsin as mike said .......

today how ever at first is time for piston cut out for valve clearance ...going to look at the hooch thread and see exactly what I did for refresh and go for it wont take long .....

im waiting on snot sucker flusher and air blaster ...all hand operated ....I think I might be able to swing the tool cost ....there are so many adaptation to this tool ...its fantastic to me ...I know you guys think its probably a joke ...but it seems great to me ...enough to stop and wait on it

If you did it now, it would leave wiggle room if you ever had to shave the heads. Mine is fine after taking 0.025 off the heads, but I'm nervous about it. I still haven't had mine under load. After initial start up and great performance, it is sputtering at low rpm. Checked header temps, ouch.. And 2-4 cyl are cooler. Going out to investigate now.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86880#p86880:2rap8xqt said:
ekvh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:01 am[/url]":2rap8xqt]If you did it now, it would leave wiggle room if you ever had to shave the heads. Mine is fine after taking 0.025 off the heads, but I'm nervous about it. I still haven't had mine under load. After initial start up and great performance, it is sputtering at low rpm. Checked header temps, ouch.. And 2-4 cyl are cooler. Going out to investigate now.
What is the compression?

you can move piston at around top dead center ....you can undo valve adjuster and screw down valve till its starts to hit piston while moving back and forth at tdc ...how far that is is clearance

okay got the snot sucker from dollar store tool house and went back to carbs ...I love these things ...cleared all the passages ...carbs look good ...also looked at all slides had one out needle and all looked great two other slides were pinched by last installer where the ring on diapham gose so the slides work great and straiten thigs up and all back together ..sorry about no pics ...I get to a certain level of touch and if I stop and take pic in liable to mess something up getting back to the touch needed for this kind of work ....

so now while other things are going on I may try the carbs on hooch for testing rack and 1200 carbs in general on this kind of set up in parts mixing ...will see ....im very impressed by 1200 carbs and these were nicely set up by Honda compared to other unuser friendly carb racks for oldwings .....im hoping they work great on hooch :mrgreen:

Latest posts