Thinking solo seat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree pic 1 is the best look and if you can make it open it makes a nice storage compartment. Maybe a piano hinge on one side?

Thanks guys...I would agree the cowl looks best. :thanks: But I might paint the inside of the lexan black so it will look finished and then turn my attention to the electrical and license plate.

Probably only have about 1 1/2 months of riding weather left here and the next 3 days are supposed to be crappy so I want the bike up and running after that. I can do the fibreglass cowl over winter.

Thanks for your indulgence
Brian

Sounds like a good plan Brian and I like your single seat version best as well. Need to get that riding in while you can :good: :moped:

I saw this bike down the street from where I was working today and thought of your seat.
I couldn't park so that's the best pic I could get but I'll try again in the morning if it's there.

image.php

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130694#p130694:3109702l said:
canuckxxxx » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:01 am[/url]":3109702l]
Glad I went for a ride yesterday :shock:

We have had a couple of days of rain now so no more riding until the driveway drys up. At least I rode Red on Friday and the Rats Nest on Saturday :Egyptian:

Looks interesting Dan. Same colour scheme as my bike. :popcorn:

Today I am working on making some pieces to mount the OE turn signals to the frame on each side of the cowl. :builder:

Started off with a piece steel angle
With a lot of hack sawing I turned it into this :heat:
It fits into the TS like this
I'm mount it on the frame rails between the seat mounts and the fender bolts

Brian

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130734#p130734:vyv4ehlt said:
Ansimp » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:00 pm[/url]":vyv4ehlt]
Nice looking bracket Brian :good:
Thanks Ansimp. Hack sawing is also a good way to stay warm :smilie_happy:

Seriously though, those frame pieces at the back look like they are made of thin sheet steel. I wonder how how they will be to bolt to. I am thinking of using 2, 10mm bolts. The brackets I am making are thick enough to drill and thread then JB weld studs so nothing shows on the outside. :headscratch:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130739#p130739:2to0dzme said:
canuckxxxx » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 am[/url]":2to0dzme]
Seriously though, those frame pieces at the back look like they are made of thin sheet steel. I wonder how how they will be to bolt to. I am thinking of using 2, 10mm bolts. The brackets I am making are thick enough to drill and thread then JB weld studs so nothing shows on the outside. :headscratch:

Most motorcycle stuff is made as light as possible and designed to break/ shear etc so that it does the least amount of damage :yes:

I don't get to see many Goldwings around and most times the rider seems in a hurry so I don't get a chance to chat with them.

Yesterday though I caught this guy rolling the bike out as I pulled up and got more pictures and of the seat.
It's an 83 basket case he got 2 weeks ago on the road now.

The extension he made from fiberglass then placed LED strips for brake light.
We both agreed it looks good without a fender.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Cool that he is off and riding his GW now. I like the looks but I am not a fan of all the micro LED indicators/ brake lights that don't really have much visual presence. They might be ok if traffic is slow but a fast moving vehicle/ motorcycle may not be telegraphed your intentions until it is too late..
We need to try and eliminate the invisibility factor so we don't hear the " I didn't see them!!" ever. :yes:

Kind of a rat bike it looks like. I like the tail piece he made. :good: The seat, not so much or the front fender. :nea:

Thanks for posting, it's always interesting to see other peoples ideas.

Brian

I got thinking about the licence plate mount on top of the fender and figured I was asking for trouble with the cops. They can be pretty annal around here. So I decided to mount it under the end of the fender.

To do that I glassed in a partition on the under side and attached brackets to it. I will add a light in the space behind the partition. :builder:

Brian