1982 Naked Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have heard you want a genuine Honda pump. There are some on epay for 118, or a whole rebuild kit for 172. Maybe there are other sources out there..That`s all I know.

I've never ordered from them but have heard they were good company, Cyclemax has OEM pump for 129. and gasket set for 26.00, I didn't check their shipping. I bought my gasket kit from georgfix on ebay, for around 23 dollars which included shipping and he is a good fast shipper with cheap freight cost. You might check Westernhonda prices.

I'm pretty sure it is bad water pump seals.

CAA498E3-9625-429C-AB0E-DE26F22CD324-18681-00002567EE09E4FF_zps5b57806f.jpg

C2365A04-7F48-46A9-98E5-96CE5D030C83-18681-00002567D2D981B8_zpsca83dc89.jpg

The first picture is actually the main oil pump seal. The second picture is the sealed rear bearing of the water pump. Here is a guide to help you determine what might be causing your problem. If you had wobble at the impellar then one or both bearings are bad. There are also o-rings on the front of the engine case that could allow coolant into the oil. gallery/album.php?album_id=2013

Yes, that's part of them, my feeble memory says there are two on the pump itself and I believe 7 that go on the front of the engine. I have a picture of where they all go somewhere in my junk I can't find at the moment but I'll keep looking. The K & L gasket set from georgefix on ebay has all the o-rings, oil pump seal, trans cover gasket in it. The o-ring for the rad hose outlet is not included. If you order from anyone else you need to ask what is included in their gasket kit for water pump replacement.

The O-ring #4 in the pix was in bad shape, may have been the leak being there was no leak at the weep hole. You can see it in my previous Picture.

I've thought about plugging 2, 4, and 5. Removed the thermostat and fill with water at that housing to see if it ends up in the oil passages, I have the valve covers off also.
Is there any merit to doing/trying that?

Hope it is OK to use this pix.
WaterPump_zpscf5d7392.jpg

IMO, I'd put in a new pump, orings and seal and mark it off my list of things to worrry about for awhile. The orings in your pictures do look pretty bad. With the new head gaskets, timing belts and and now this you should have a pretty reliable engine.

The pump was stuck good. Started with a mallet it would not move. Cleaned the weep hole out and let set with penetrating oil tried again with the mallet, on go. Finely got the big hammer out, four good swings it moved, a few more and it was out.
You can see the penetrating oil did not penetrating that far.

BD508B5E-6C29-45A6-9073-339EA79B902D-19387-000026AECF396244_zpsc54e72ca.jpg

Goes without saying but remember to get the neutral switch lined up when you put the cover back on. Seen the cover have to come back off , not fun to do twice.

Latest posts