1985 LTD 2018 Fall Work Period

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be doing the last two pieces, passenger foot boards this coming week. These were covered with aftermarket chrome pieces, but I'm not really into the chrome look, like the brushed aluminum look better. I also think it's more in line with how these bikes came off the showroom floor.

Leak down test to be done this week as well, then start to install air chamber, fuel injection system, valve assemblies, and front end. Won't be long and I'll be starting the engine.

Cheers

Leak down test done, happy with the results. Engine has been sitting for some time and doing a cold leak down test is haphazard at best, but gives a good indication of things to come.

Cleaned and polished the right passenger foot board. Came out pretty good so I won't be putting the chrome pieces back on. Found that the chrome pieces were a pain to adjust and line up.

A before picture of the foot boards:
Left Passenger - Before polishing.jpg

After cleaning and polishing:
Right Passenger.jpg
One more to go.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=208109#p208109:15g14lhf said:
Rednaxs60 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 am[/url]":15g14lhf]
If the engine doesn't work better after this, the bike will look good! :music:
:smilie_happy: It sure will!

Going back to Ontario to visit family and friends on the 23rd. A close and long time friend is having issues and he's not doing well. Hadn't planned on getting back to Ontario in the winter, but I would not like myself if I didn't go see him and he turned for the worse. Was also wondering when would be a good time to see Mom as she is not getting any younger either, so two birds with one stone. Get to see the daughter and son-in-law as well.

Since I'm loosing two weeks for the trip, decided to put a bit of a push on with the 1200. As of tonight have the following done:

Engine timed and new timing belts
Air chamber back in, fuel injection system and fuel supply system installed and buttoned up
New fuel filter
New rubber grommets for the valve covers and timing belt covers
New o-rings for air intakes
Gr/Gl sensors installed (equivalent of the carb PG sensor(s))

Once I started doing the work, things just fell into place. Here are the pics from the work I did. Front end:
Front end 1.jpg
Left side:
Left Side.jpg
Right side:
Right Side.jpg

I used a lot of ziploc bags to keep the parts organized, easy to find and use. I'm glad I did this.

A while back when I was doing the wiring cleanup, had a roll of the TESA cloth tape I was using. Put it down and when I went to use it again, could not find it. Ordered more and have used the new rolls since. Today I found the wayward roll under the bike when I was moving some items around. Have a lot of the TESA and TESA type cloth tape now.

I was a little intimidated with engine timing. Been a while since I have had to do this and never on a bike. Read the service manual(s) that I have many times, as well as various threads on the issue and jumped in with both feet. I lined up T1 and installed the timing belt pulleys as per the service manual instructions. Had the spark plugs out as well. I installed the timing belt pulleys as directed, find T1 then rotate the crank 45 degrees clockwise, install timing belt pulleys so that the up indicator is "up" and the timing mark - a dot - is lined up with the cylinder head cover mark. Once I did this, rotate the crank counterclockwise 45 degrees to orientate T1 with the engine case mark:
Timing T1.jpg

With everything lined up, the timing belts slipped on without having to move either of the timing belt pulleys. Rotated the engine several times and no obstructions so all is good to go.

Every now and then the issue of having to replace the Ns crank sensor on the '85 LTD and '86 SE-i is mentioned. I replaced this sensor a while back. The PO had installed a PG sensor from a 1500. Worked well, but I thought I had an issue. I had read a thread on this where the fellow had used a PG sensor harness from a 1200 Aspencade. The installation is the same as there is an upper and lower mounting boss on the fuel injected engines as well. Here is a pic of the sensors installed in the timing belt area. I use the lower sensor at this time:
PG Sensor Used for Ns sensor.jpg
I kept the wiring harness and ran it up to the Ns connector under the shelter. I removed one set of wires from the PG sensor harness and installed these wires into the old original 2 pin connector. If anything happens to the sensor I am presently using, I can switch the wiring under the shelter and will not have to go into the timing belt area. Using the yellow and white wires of the lower sensor:
Ns Sensor Connector.jpg
This is a better option in my opinion than using a 1500 sensor considering that you have to modify the mounting boss to use the 1500 sensor.

Going to get at it again tomorrow and see just how far I can get. Have a vacuum hose to replace for the left PB sensor, have found a better route for it and need a bit more length of tube. Will give the fuel system a once over as well to ensure all is tight. Need to test the wiring to make sure all is connected properly. Once this is done, install rad and fill with coolant. Won't be putting the front end back on until after first engine start. With the front end and fairing off, much easier to work in the engine area.

The unfortunate thing is that we are having a good spell of weather that is conducive to riding. I do like putting parts back on instead of taking the parts off. Makes me think I'm actually achieving something.

Enough for now.

You were putting me to shame with all the work being done rather quickly on Hooch.

Parts seem to go back on easier when clean. Going to "wring" out the wiring today, maybe in a position to start the engine later this week. Would be nice to have the engine started before I go east.

No worries - us youngsters have to pay our dues! :smilie_happy:

Installed the battery, checked out the wiring, and all is good. Wiring taped and back in. Looks much better not having bare wires running through the chassis. Even made sure the starter was happy.

Have a very small fuel leak out of the filter to the system, crush washers are a pain. Easy fix though.

Lots more to do. Dash lights, turn signal self cancelling issue to name a couple.

Cheers

Breaking News!!!! It's ALIVE!!!! Decided to install rad, put in 3 litres or so of coolant - rad cap on loose and start the engine:
Rad.jpg
Fixed small fuel weep on the fuel filter with new crush washer - aluminum type. Seems the copper crush washer(s) just doesn't do the trick sometimes. No exhaust so it was a short run. Took a few tries, fuel - had to get the air out of the system, but started with no miss and very smooth. Lots of smoke to start with but cleared up fast.

Sonya mentioned that it did not sound healthy; however, no exhaust and not having been started for about 5 months and all the internals are fairly dry - one small squeal on start and stop but this will go away with use. Rather pleased with the results.

She also asked why I wasn't considering taking the 1500 on the Alaska trip. Will be able to make a good assessment after I get the 1200 on the road. Both need tires. Have a HO alternator ready to go on the 1500. The 1500 needs the rear end serviced, a Trailer hitch to be installed for the small carrier I have, the Fireside panel to be installed and an accessory fuse block as well - FZ-1 by Fuzeblocks in northern CA. This fuse block has an integrated relay for switched power and a ground bus.

Have been troubleshooting the self cancelling turn signals. Have it down to a faulty turn signal cancel unit located in the steering stem. Called my parts guy at the local Honda dealership, and if it was available it would be some $220.00 CDN - ouch. Found one at Straightwings in Langley and will pick up this weekend when I go to the bike show.

Tomorrow is drain coolant, remove rad, check timing belts for tension, timing covers on, various parts to be installed. Going to go fairly quick now, but not going to rush it as I am heading for Ontario next Wednesday.

Rather pleased with progress so far.

Quick update. Have been progressing - nice to be putting parts on the bike instead of taking parts off.

Had been having an issue with the self cancelling signal lights. With the front fairing off was able to get in and troubleshoot the signals. The turn signal cancel control unit was U/S, picked up a good used one yesterday on my way to the Motorcycle Show in Abbotsford. Installed this morning and the signals are working as expected. Have been missing the self cancelling feature.

Checked out the indicator lights in the dash. The cruise indicator lights were not working but have proven them to be good. Will be looking into the switch. The cruise function does work but there is no dash indication.

Replaced the clearance lights that are on each side of the headlight with bulbs that are more appropriate. Have been looking for LED bulbs that will fit the socket but have yet to find some. More looking to be done.

Checked the timing belt tension after the start the other day, and had to tweak the tension a bit. Covers back on, rad installed and coolant back in.

Have the front forks back in. - polished and clean - look good.

Picked up some new cleaning/polishing, and sealing product from the bike show. A product made by Flitz. Supposed to be good, will know soon enough.

Expect that another week and I would be rolling the bike out for a test ride. Unfortunately I have to fly back to Ontario on Wednesday to see my friend who is not long for this world - back home on 6 Feb. He was given 2 to 5 weeks and 2 weeks are already gone. Been friends for 40 years, not looking forward to not having him around.

Expect to have the bike up and on the road by end Feb. Going to be good to ride it again.

Cheers

Used the Flitz polish and sealer on the front forks and the right valve cover so far. Will be doing the left valve cover before I head east.

Yes I did all this work. Here are some after pictures. The first is the rad/front fork install. Easy with the front fairing off:
Front End 20 Jan 2019.jpg
Old U/S signal cancel control unit:
Old Cancel Unit.jpg
Front fairing off. When you remove the dash, make sure you do not drop any of the nuts holding the dash on. These will drop into the fairing and you will not get to the nut unless you take out some if not a lot of the items in the fairing:
Front Fairing 20 Jan 2019.jpg
Have to find a speaker replacement, have one that is damaged:
Damaged Speaker 20 Jan 2019.jpg

Was working on the centre of the handle bars a while back and dropped one of the two securing screws for the ignition cover. Couldn't locate it so used a spare screw. These are a specific shape and size. Put the fairing on yesterday to line up the alternator brackets, and while I was gently adjusting the fairing bolt holes with the appropriate tool, hammer, the wayward screw ended up on the floor.

Cheers

Back at it. Finalizing the wire connections - put front fairing back on to make sure all connectors have enough wire for connecting.

Installing new spot lighting. Had to educate myself regarding flood/spot lighting. These new lights have a concentrated 10 to 20 degree beam:
New Spot Lights 1.jpg
New Spot Lights 2.jpg
Tried them on the bench and they project more light straight out then I have had to date. Will keep one set of flood lights on the bike for close in and peripheral lighting. Should be a good combination.

Mentioned that I had done some troubleshooting of the self-cancelling turn signal circuit. I think I have it corrected and the cornering lights should work as well.

The polishing I finished up before my sojourn to Ontario has held up well.

Be able to start this puppy up soon.

Cheers